Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Every time I go to reinstall OS X El Captain, it requests my Apple ID and password. However, I would like to factory reset my mac so I can sell it. Anyway around this?

I followed the instructions to erase HD to prepare MacBook Pro (2102) for a friend.

Why would I need to sign into App Store to re install OS X ??

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 28, 2020 11:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2020 6:16 PM

Yes, I followed the instructions to erase my Hard Drive.

When I attempt to Reinstall OS X El Captain, a dialogue box wants me to enter my Apple ID and Password to access App Store.

I entered my Apple ID and Password and got a message "the item is temporarily unavailable. Try again later"

Why is this computer wanting to access App Store for downloading the OS X?

There is an image on my Hard Drive but this stupid computer wont access this image.

I cannot find ANY instructions on your customer support documents about accessing App Store for re installing OS X.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2020 6:16 PM in response to QuickPost

Yes, I followed the instructions to erase my Hard Drive.

When I attempt to Reinstall OS X El Captain, a dialogue box wants me to enter my Apple ID and Password to access App Store.

I entered my Apple ID and Password and got a message "the item is temporarily unavailable. Try again later"

Why is this computer wanting to access App Store for downloading the OS X?

There is an image on my Hard Drive but this stupid computer wont access this image.

I cannot find ANY instructions on your customer support documents about accessing App Store for re installing OS X.

Every time I go to reinstall OS X El Captain, it requests my Apple ID and password. However, I would like to factory reset my mac so I can sell it. Anyway around this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.