Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete emails

How to permanently delete (one or more) emails (at a time) in one move (not taking them to trash first and then empt the trash)?

• from icloud, (web)
  • from computer
  • from iphone

Or at least from only one of those (they are in sync I know).

It is painfully slow to delete them and it blocks my computer's email. I have thousands to delete. Icloud (web is not much faster).

Thank you

iMac Pro

Posted on May 28, 2020 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2020 1:04 AM

Selecting mails from iCloud.com and then click on trash icon , the mails will move to trash folder and kept for 30 days , this is the feature apple engineers have designed , as the mails are important for an account holder and he plans to recover them in inbox that can be done .

From trash folder select mails and click on trash icon .

As you inquired - is there a special command to vanish them, by not having to take them to trash first and erase them from there - answer is no .

Thats the reason direct erasing from iCloud.com is not possible , send your feedback to them https://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2020 1:04 AM in response to Venice220

Selecting mails from iCloud.com and then click on trash icon , the mails will move to trash folder and kept for 30 days , this is the feature apple engineers have designed , as the mails are important for an account holder and he plans to recover them in inbox that can be done .

From trash folder select mails and click on trash icon .

As you inquired - is there a special command to vanish them, by not having to take them to trash first and erase them from there - answer is no .

Thats the reason direct erasing from iCloud.com is not possible , send your feedback to them https://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

May 29, 2020 7:42 AM in response to tygb

Thanks. As it turns out, changing the mail's

"Trash mailbox" box behavior to "Erase deleted messages: When quitting Mail" will do it. I don't have to go erase them again from trash. So, it would be one move: taking them to "Trash mailbox" and don't worry about them being there when I quit the Mail.

In normal circumstances, with any other choice for mailbox settings, I can take advantage from the "erase later" feature, and have then the opportunity to look through deleted emails, in case some items got deleted by mistake, the answer is No, there is no command to erase them. Thanks.

May 29, 2020 8:25 AM in response to Venice220

See the article https://support.apple.com/en-ie/guide/mail/cpmlprefacctmbox/13.0/mac/10.15

Erase deleted messages

Mail erases deleted messages at the specified time. Select a setting other than Never to avoid exceeding storage limits set by your email account provider.

If you selected None for Trash Mailbox, you can have Mail permanently delete messages automatically.

If your email account provider sets up the server to delete older messages, the messages are deleted regardless of how you change this option.

May 28, 2020 7:52 PM in response to Venice220

Select few mails from IMAP account , hold shift key click on the first mail and then the last mail , click on delete key .

You must never select thousands of mails at a time and delete they will stuck , using third party apps to delete them is avoided they will corrupt Mac .

See the article https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mail/mlhlp1001/mac

It depends which web mail services is configured with iCloud for gmail web accounts see this https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7401?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en&oco=0

May 28, 2020 5:05 PM in response to zinacef

Yes. I know how to select them at the same time. The problem is I have to take them to trash and select them again and finally delete them. I want to selectively delete emails, but after I select a block I want to delete in one move.

Thanks.

I was just trying to find out if there is a one command to do that. Maybe there is no such command.

May 28, 2020 7:23 PM in response to zinacef

Thanks. But the question was: how to remove (erase, in like "never to be seen again") in one move, an email straight out from inbox, without taking it to trash box first.

I can only do it if I change the settings to "Mail" but is now too late. I'm not sure of those setting yet, I didn't try.

Anyway, I got them already in 2 moves: delete to trash and erase from it.

Thanks though, you tried. I appreciate it.

May 28, 2020 9:40 PM in response to tygb

Hi, thanks, but that's not the question.

First, there is no gmail in iCloud, so obviously I was referring to @icloud email.

You suggestion with the selection of emails is equivalent with previous suggestion.

I know how to select. the problem is : can you make them erased, never to be able to see them again, IN ONE MOVE?

is there a special command to vanish them, by not having to take them to trash first and erase them from there?

'if you have the answer let me know.

Thanks again.

Delete emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.