Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flashing folder with question mark

Hello guys,

I know this topic was discussed before but I think mine is a bit different.

I get the flashing folder with question mark when I startup my macbook air (early 2014, 13").

I then did the cmd+R at startup and get to the recovery mode, I go for "first aid" and can startup normally again. Then after using the Mac for like 10/20 minutes, it freezes. I press and hold to shut it down then and when I startup again -> question mark folder.

This worked a few times, but not anymore.

Now when I go to recovery, I only get the Internet Recovery mode. There, all I can do is the "Verify Disk" and that doesn't help.

As well all I see is my OS X Base System in the disk utility and not my drive anymore, as well as when I try to Reinstall OS X I cant choose a Drive to install it on.

if my SSD would be broken, why would it just work sometime and then not again anymore.

Can there be any other reason for this?

Appreciate any help.

Cheers

MacBook

Posted on May 29, 2020 5:02 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

May 29, 2020 9:38 AM in response to Rkelly1223

Are you able to use Disk Utility, either from within the macOS or from Recovery Mode and then repair the SSD?

Have you tried to reinstall macOS from Recovery Mode?

The reason I asked the above questions is because if you are unable to execute the repair command from Disk Utility AND you are unable to reinstall macOS from Recovery then there is a great chance that your SSD or a SSD related component has failed.

Axel F.

May 29, 2020 3:19 PM in response to Axel Foley

Thats the problem, the SSD is not displayed in the disk utility (i pressed "show all devices", ofc). Also when I try to reinstall mac it cant find any partition.

It is very weird. I restarted it multiple times now, entered recovery Mode and did nothing in there, restarted again and it just worked and I am back in in my user again.

But I am pretty sure it will happen again after using it for like 20 minutes. Guess Ill have to let someone check it out

Flashing folder with question mark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.