Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email swap between Apple ID and deleted Apple ID

I used an account to create new Apple ID, but have deleted it after having recovered my older Apple. Why can't I change the email to my old Apple ID to the one attached to the canceled one?

Posted on May 29, 2020 4:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2020 4:57 PM

Posters here, and documentation from Apple indicate that if you delete an AppleID, you can never use that deleted AppleIDs email address as an AppleID ever again.

How to delete your Apple ID account - Apple Support

What happens if I change my mind after I have requested that my account be deleted? 

While your request is being processed, you can contact Apple Support with the unique alphanumeric access code you received, and we’ll help you cancel your request. After your account is deleted, Apple can't cancel the request, reopen your account, or restore your data.”

Since Apple is obligated by law to keep some minimal data from every AppleID account, I assume that is why the email, which is the identifier for that AppleID, can never be reused.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2020 4:57 PM in response to randelaustin

Posters here, and documentation from Apple indicate that if you delete an AppleID, you can never use that deleted AppleIDs email address as an AppleID ever again.

How to delete your Apple ID account - Apple Support

What happens if I change my mind after I have requested that my account be deleted? 

While your request is being processed, you can contact Apple Support with the unique alphanumeric access code you received, and we’ll help you cancel your request. After your account is deleted, Apple can't cancel the request, reopen your account, or restore your data.”

Since Apple is obligated by law to keep some minimal data from every AppleID account, I assume that is why the email, which is the identifier for that AppleID, can never be reused.

Email swap between Apple ID and deleted Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.