Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch 5 Facebook Messenger

So I recently purchased an apple 5 watch . I’ve uploaded all my apps. Facebook messenger is giving me issues though . When I open the app from my watch it says Log in from paired iPhone . I’m logged in on my I phone and on my Apple Watch app. When someone messages me on the app and my phone is locked I receive it on my watch But when I got to reply it’s says log in from paired iPhone . When I try to browse my messages through the watch it doesn’t allow me. It just reads log in from the paired iPhone . I’ve uninstalled the app from my watch , from my phone . Reinstalled both, restarted both, toggled blue tooth on and off , there both up to date . Is there anything else I can do ? Have I missed something ? Thank you

Apple Watch Series 5, watchOS 6

Posted on May 29, 2020 7:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2020 6:31 PM

I was having this problem too and it randomly started today (May 31st). I even contacted apple support (they couldn't help because it's a third party app). Here's how I fixed it:

1. Make sure your watch and your phone are up to date.
  2. Delete the app from the watch (on the watch itself and not through the app on your phone).
  3. Delete the app from your phone.
  4. Make sure automatic app install is off in the watch app.
  5. Re-download the app on your phone.
  6. Re-download the app on your watch (through the app store on the watch itself and not through your phone).
  7. With the messenger app open on your watch (and displaying the "log in from paired iPhone" message), open the app on your phone and sign in. I got a little spinning wheel on my watch and then I was logged in on both.

Hope this helps!

Similar questions

167 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2020 6:31 PM in response to ThomasZK

I was having this problem too and it randomly started today (May 31st). I even contacted apple support (they couldn't help because it's a third party app). Here's how I fixed it:

1. Make sure your watch and your phone are up to date.
  2. Delete the app from the watch (on the watch itself and not through the app on your phone).
  3. Delete the app from your phone.
  4. Make sure automatic app install is off in the watch app.
  5. Re-download the app on your phone.
  6. Re-download the app on your watch (through the app store on the watch itself and not through your phone).
  7. With the messenger app open on your watch (and displaying the "log in from paired iPhone" message), open the app on your phone and sign in. I got a little spinning wheel on my watch and then I was logged in on both.

Hope this helps!

Jun 1, 2020 11:05 AM in response to Hannah1602

Nothing was working for me until I updated my phone software and then tried the steps again and hey presto, back up and running again!!

1. Uninstall the app on both your watch and phone
  2. Turn off automatic app download on your watch app
  3. update your phones software
  4. down load the app onto your watch via the watch itself
  5. download the app onto your phone again via the App Store
  6. open the app on your watch and You will get the message again that says “log in with paired iPhone”
  7. go on to messenger on your phone and log back in (don’t use automatic login - click on “this isn’t me” and logon manually”
  8. Your watch app should now be working

Jun 1, 2020 12:52 PM in response to ThomasZK

I had this problem setting up a Series 5 Apple watch, but in addition with other apps like Strava.

In order to fix this, I:

1. Updated my watch and iPhone
  2. Deleted the app directly from the watch
  3. Deleted the app on my iPhone
  4. Downloaded the app from the App Store on my watch
  5. Opened the app on my watch
  6. Downloaded and then opened the respective app from the App Store, this time on my phone
  7. When I logged in on the app on my phone, the app on my watch seemed to reboot and login as expected.

Hope this works for you if the other posted solution didn't!

Jun 2, 2020 2:32 PM in response to Stepgar10

So far all of the suggestions above have worked for me but only for momentarily. It would not last longer than 20 mins.

What I did was.

1. Uninstalled Facebook and Messanger on my phone
  2. Uninstalled Messenger on my iwatch
  3. I made sure that the automatic install is off
  4. Downloaded Facebook and Messenger on my phone
  5. Downloaded Messenger on my iwatch then opened it (a notification would then pop asking you to allow or not allow whatever it was — i clicked allow)
  6. Logged on to my Facebook account by manually entering my email address and password
  7. Logged on to my messenger on the phone manually
  8. A spinning wheel appeared on my iwatch and it has been nearly 2 hours and my messenger on my iwatch is still working

Hope this helps ☺️

Jun 10, 2020 3:50 AM in response to ThomasZK

Hello,

this worked for me:

1. Delete Messenger from iPhone & Watch
  2. Install Messenger to both devices again. Doesn't matter if automatic app install is On/Off in my case.
  3. Open Messenger on Watch, you will see "Log in from paired iPhone" notice
  4. In this moment open Messenger app on iPhone and LOG IN.

Seems like Messenger application must be running first on Apple Watch awaiting for login from iPhone.

I hope, this helped.

Rostislav

May 31, 2020 2:29 AM in response to ThomasZK

I noticed the same problem with Messenger too, it asks to log in on paired I phone. I have an Apple Watch 5, the problem occurred suddenly last night. I think it is an app related problem, maybe Messenger itself, or something related to the app working with the watch. I am no expert at all but I think this is app related because it has worked faultlessly till now.

May 31, 2020 12:28 PM in response to ThomasZK

I have the same issue. I've reached out and did everything i could, i've even unpaired my watch and started over fresh. it was working yesterday and now it wont. it says log in from paired iphone. ive deleted the app re downloaded it both my phone and my watch.... is there a solution??? i switched from android to apple just for the watch to access messenger.... so frustrated

May 31, 2020 3:59 PM in response to deanna5846

I am have the same issue also. I have reset and still nothing. Today makes a week that I have switched to an iPhone from android. This issue started yesterday. So frustrating, even the employees at T-Mobile were puzzled.

May 31, 2020 10:35 PM in response to heyoitsme

I did that before and it works for me only until you restart messenger app. During second opening I receive screen about "adding mobile phone to facebook" and in that exact moment app crashes on the watch. I can't turn that screen off before it occurs. I tried adding phone number in facebook or deleting to prevent this screen to pop up but it doesn't work.

Apple Watch 5 Facebook Messenger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.