Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1333mhz ram instead of 1066mhz

A long time ago I upgraded my 2009 iMac 27" from 4gb to 16gb. I used the 4gb that came out of my iMac to upgrade my white macbook late 2010.

Never look at the ram itself. It fitted so I just put it in. But now I see that the ram from my Mac was 1333mhz. And in the specifications of my macbook it says to put in 1066mhz. At the time I didn't really notice any huge difference in speed or performance.

Does it harm my macbook if the 1333mhz is in? or does my macbook simply not uses the full potantial speed of the 1333mhz ram?

I'm thinking of putting the correct ram inside so everything is correct. Maybe its wise to upgrade it to 8gb while I'm at it?

thanks a lot

MacBook, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 30, 2020 1:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2020 3:22 AM

In your case, increasing the amount of RAM to 8GB would bring a good performance improvement. I would highly recommend it if you are planning to use your system for a couple of more years.

Putting the higher frequency RAM modules will not harm your system, nor bring any performance improvement. If the Mac is unable to run on the rated frequency of 1333MHz, it will use it on a "slower" 1066MHz speed.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2020 3:22 AM in response to ruud82

In your case, increasing the amount of RAM to 8GB would bring a good performance improvement. I would highly recommend it if you are planning to use your system for a couple of more years.

Putting the higher frequency RAM modules will not harm your system, nor bring any performance improvement. If the Mac is unable to run on the rated frequency of 1333MHz, it will use it on a "slower" 1066MHz speed.

1333mhz ram instead of 1066mhz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.