Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 24-inch early 2009, wish to upgrade ram, currently on 4GB

Hi,

I wish to upgrade the current RAM from 4GB to 8GB. Do you think the difference will be very significant. I just thought to it will be a waste to send this beautiful piece of machine to Apple for recycle as it is still working okay, just pretty slow. Can you recommend a reasonably good quality brand of RAM i can use and should I just change out the old 4GB piece since it is already 12 years old or can I jut add one additional 4GB piece.

Thank you so much for your advice.

Cheers!

OS X Server (Yosemite)

Posted on Apr 25, 2021 3:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2021 7:58 AM

Thanks a brody, so I need to consider changing the hard drive too if speed is my concern. Seems the cost is adding up. There is no trade in value anymore for this machine and it feels terrible that they are going to trash it if I give to Apple to recycle.

13 replies

Apr 25, 2021 7:09 AM in response to Su Juan

It can't hurt, but you won't increase your capability to run newer operating systems. Hard drives on these systems if they haven't been replaced easily are past retirement age and could go at anytime, and could very well be why you are slow. Also the USB is only 2.0. Firewire is faster than the USB on those Macs. Those machines can be had in the open marketplace for around $150. So throwing that much RAM at it would probably seem kind of futile.

If the hard drive is replaced with an SSD you'll get much more speed. Bring it in to an authorized service center if you must run an older system for applications sake to replace the hard drive with an SSD.

The other thing is speed on these machines can be affected by system optimizers which actually slow it down, any Mackeeper, Mac Cleaner, Macpaw, Zeobit, antivirus, software firewall can slow it down. Use only applications for doing your work, not optimizers on Macs, and make sure the drive doesn't get over 85% full.

May 15, 2021 11:58 AM in response to Su Juan

Hi Su.

You're welcome :)

I went back to my 2017 Amazon orders and found this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GNL1NC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm certain that I took out the two 2gb chips and swapped them for these.

The upgrade should make your existing applications move between each other more quickly and provide an over-all livelier feeling to your iMac. It won't, however, prevent eventual incompatibility with the latest browsers and software.

Older Mac technology, even a decade old, is still great for streaming, DVDs, word-processing and browsing.

It's worth the investment.

Sincerely,

David

P.S. You should make sure the RAM in the link is the same for your iMac. My iMac is also a 2009, but it may have different RAM specs from yours.

May 15, 2021 12:39 PM in response to Su Juan

if you want extra RAM, i'd suggest OWC Memory Upgrades For 24" & 20" iMac (Early & Mid 2009). macs can be finicky about aftermarket RAM. many members here will only recommend OWC for buying replacement RAM. some will also recommend RAM from crucial.com. other than those two brands, it's a crap shoot wether the modules will function properly in your machine. and also, if you're looking to upgrade your hardware, as mentioned by others here, you may as well swap out the HDD in favour of an SSD. i would also recommend an OWC Solid State Drive. they sell complete install kits, and there are videos on their site so you can determine if you can perform the upgrade for your self, or decide what you would be willing to pay if you need to farm it out.

and, i have no affiliation with OWC. i'm just a very happy customer.

May 16, 2021 9:18 PM in response to Su Juan

You're welcome Su.

I just realized you said your iMac is a 24". Mine is a 20". Definitely check the RAM specs. The brand of memory in the link worked from the first snap into their slots four years ago and they are still working today. You also stated that you already have one 4gb chip. You only need one more, not a set, as in the link.

All the best.

Sincerely,

David

iMac 24-inch early 2009, wish to upgrade ram, currently on 4GB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.