Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone storage full, icloud has 4 gig empty, but I cant take videos because the phones says its full

iphone storage full, icloud has 4 gig empty, but I cant take videos because the phones says its out of storage.

It used to be if I ran out of phone storage space, it would upload to Icloud...

now it doesn't.

What happened?

Posted on May 30, 2020 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2020 4:43 PM

No, iCloud has never worked that way. iCloud photo and iCloud storage in general exists to sync data amongst your devices. But data, and photos always are simultaneously stored on your device and in iCloud.

So if your device storage is full, you need to delete content to free up space for new data. With photos, transfer them to a computer for safe keeping and then delete them from your device (which also deletes them in iCloud).

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2020 4:43 PM in response to longstreet1963

No, iCloud has never worked that way. iCloud photo and iCloud storage in general exists to sync data amongst your devices. But data, and photos always are simultaneously stored on your device and in iCloud.

So if your device storage is full, you need to delete content to free up space for new data. With photos, transfer them to a computer for safe keeping and then delete them from your device (which also deletes them in iCloud).

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

May 31, 2020 5:24 AM in response to Michael Black

The iPhone had storage space

I began taking videos

I took several

It stopped, disabled the camera, and stated storage full on Iphone

In the past it would not do this, and continue videoing and putting videos on the Cloud

It didn't happen this time.

I got into camera settings, turned the Cloud off then on....

Why was it not pushing the videos up to the Cloud?

May 31, 2020 5:41 PM in response to longstreet1963

In order to sync you have to take the photo and store it on your device. That file would then sync to iCloud. Since your device has no free storage, there is nowhere for it to store any new files, thus no ability to then sync new files to iCloud.

When a file sync’s to iCloud, the copy on the device still remains in device storage - it is a synchronization of files, not a transfer of files.

iphone storage full, icloud has 4 gig empty, but I cant take videos because the phones says its full

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.