Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why wont Music import mp3 files even though it will play them when they are selected?

I am running Catalina 10.1.5 and Music 1.0.5.14. I have some mp3 files that I digitized from old albums in a folder on my desktop. If I open one of the files, it will play in Music, but it will not import. I have tried using File>Import, by doing drop and drag, and by copying the files to my Music folder. Nothing is working. I have tried every import setting available in Music's preferences.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 31, 2020 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 7:43 AM

ed2345,

I think you're right. Boy, is that going to be a lot of work. If you don't fix the details right away, you can mix up a bunch of albums and artists because the tracks have no data. Looking at my "recently added" list, I am finding other imports that I thought had not worked. I will have to do a lot of clean up.

Thanks for your help! And I hope that Apple can make this work better. Oy.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2020 7:43 AM in response to ed2345

ed2345,

I think you're right. Boy, is that going to be a lot of work. If you don't fix the details right away, you can mix up a bunch of albums and artists because the tracks have no data. Looking at my "recently added" list, I am finding other imports that I thought had not worked. I will have to do a lot of clean up.

Thanks for your help! And I hope that Apple can make this work better. Oy.

Why wont Music import mp3 files even though it will play them when they are selected?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.