Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't import songs into Music app under Catlina

I found that under Catalina I can't add music to my Music library by either drag and drop of a file or folder of mp3s, or by File>Import.

Even when the song plays normally in the Finder.

Importing worked via either of the first two methods under Big Sur.

However a work-a-round for me was to drop the files/folder in the folder named "Automatically Add to Music" in the Media Folder.

When Music is running, the dropped files disappear form "Automatically..." and are put into the location specified in the Music app Preferences>Files>Media Folder Location. That probably assumes the box "Copy files to Music Media Folder ...." is checked.

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 3:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 5:28 AM

Doug,

Correct. In fact, the "Automatically Add..." method is really the most preferred way to add new files. If a file is not compatible, it will get placed into a Not Added folder, while all the other methods "error silently."

By the way, "Automatically Add..." whisks the file to its "proper" location, whether "Copy..." is checked or not.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2020 5:28 AM in response to Doug Day

Doug,

Correct. In fact, the "Automatically Add..." method is really the most preferred way to add new files. If a file is not compatible, it will get placed into a Not Added folder, while all the other methods "error silently."

By the way, "Automatically Add..." whisks the file to its "proper" location, whether "Copy..." is checked or not.

Can't import songs into Music app under Catlina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.