Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro has panics and occasional coma!

Hi,

I have a 13" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro 9,2 Intel Core i7, 2.9GHz with 8GB RAM and a 1TB SSD running El Capitan 10.11.6.

Every so-often it goes off into some kind of coma.

This can be caused by using QuickLook on a folder of photos: I can look at maybe 15-10 images, and then the whole thing hangs and I get the spinning beachball of doom and have to wait maybe 5-10 minutes for things to become responsive again.

Sometimes it just does it randomly, particularly when I switch between applications, say Photoshop (CS4) and Firefox.

Sometimes, it refuses to wake up properly from sleep: the sleep light is static (not pulsing) but the screen remains black. Sometimes this is cured by closing and opening the lid a few times, sometimes it lasts for 20 minutes or so, after which time I just hold down the power key and force a restart.

If the charger is left plugged in overnight and the battery reaches 100%, the machine can go into deep sleep (like it does when the battery runs completely flat). This state can take forever to wake up from, although I've noticed this happens less since I replaced the HDD with an SSD.

I recently disabled 'hibernation' as the crash reports were showing the following line:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff802c47cc68): "Hibernate restore error e00002eb"@/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/xnu/xnu-3248.73.10/iokit/Kernel/IOHibernateIO.cpp:2320

...as I read somewhere that this might cure it,

I'm not sure which Library the error refers to, but I can't find the file Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/xnu/xnu-3248.73.10/iokit/Kernel/IOHibernateIO.cpp anywhere on the drive. I did wonder about creating it, just so that the system would be able to find a file to restore data to, even if it was empty... but perhaps I'm missing the point.

It's a decent machine, and with the SSD it should be no slouch, but it is, and it's the only machine I have right now. For the past 12 weeks I've been in lockdown 120 miles from my desktop machine and I don't know when we'll be able to go home! Some days I'm ready to throw it out of the window.

I did read something on the net which suggested the internal SATA ribbon cable might be at fault, but I haven't tried changing that yet.

If anyone out there has any suggestions which don't involve replacing the Macbook with the latest model or updating to the latest OSX (some of my software would stop working) I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance.

G.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 31, 2020 10:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2020 12:35 PM

Thanks for the reply etresoft.

I'm not convinced by the faulty HDD diagnosis as the SSD itself is less than 6 months old. DiskUtility and Etrecheck show no disk errors, only a missing time-machine backup (the original TM backup is slightly smaller than the installed SSD, and needs upgrading). But it looks like a defective ribbon connector could produce 'faulty disk' type errors.

I didn't really need to look at IOHibernateIO.cpp, I just wondered which Library it was supposed to be in, as I can't seem to find it in Library, ~Library or System/Library. I'm guessing it should be in the first one, but the directory com.apple.xbs does not appear to exist anywhere on the machine (invisibly or otherwise) except in the crash report, saying it can't be found.

With regard to wake-up crashes, I have disabled Hibernate in terminal:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

and deleted the sleep image file:

sudo rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage

so I'm puzzled why I should still occasionally get that particular message in the crash report.

I'll try looking online for a replacement ribbon connector. It's going to be cheaper than a new Macbook Pro!

Thanks,

G.

I guess a re-install of OSX wouldn't do any harm!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2020 12:35 PM in response to etresoft

Thanks for the reply etresoft.

I'm not convinced by the faulty HDD diagnosis as the SSD itself is less than 6 months old. DiskUtility and Etrecheck show no disk errors, only a missing time-machine backup (the original TM backup is slightly smaller than the installed SSD, and needs upgrading). But it looks like a defective ribbon connector could produce 'faulty disk' type errors.

I didn't really need to look at IOHibernateIO.cpp, I just wondered which Library it was supposed to be in, as I can't seem to find it in Library, ~Library or System/Library. I'm guessing it should be in the first one, but the directory com.apple.xbs does not appear to exist anywhere on the machine (invisibly or otherwise) except in the crash report, saying it can't be found.

With regard to wake-up crashes, I have disabled Hibernate in terminal:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

and deleted the sleep image file:

sudo rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage

so I'm puzzled why I should still occasionally get that particular message in the crash report.

I'll try looking online for a replacement ribbon connector. It's going to be cheaper than a new Macbook Pro!

Thanks,

G.

I guess a re-install of OSX wouldn't do any harm!

May 31, 2020 10:25 AM in response to Graham.R

Graham.R wrote:

This can be caused by using QuickLook on a folder of photos: I can look at maybe 15-10 images, and then the whole thing hangs and I get the spinning beachball of doom and have to wait maybe 5-10 minutes for things to become responsive again.

That sounds like a failing hard drive.

Sometimes it just does it randomly, particularly when I switch between applications, say Photoshop (CS4) and Firefox.

Here too.

I recently disabled 'hibernation' as the crash reports were showing the following line:
panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff802c47cc68): "Hibernate restore error e00002eb"@/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/xnu/xnu-3248.73.10/iokit/Kernel/IOHibernateIO.cpp:2320
...as I read somewhere that this might cure it,

I'm not sure which Library the error refers to, but I can't find the file Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/xnu/xnu-3248.73.10/iokit/Kernel/IOHibernateIO.cpp anywhere on the drive. I did wonder about creating it, just so that the system would be able to find a file to restore data to, even if it was empty... but perhaps I'm missing the point.

That is just the path to the original source code file embedded in the binary. It is just there to cross-reference with the original source code file to help debug the cause of the panic. If you really want to look at the file, for your 10.11.6 file, it is here:

https://opensource.apple.com/source/xnu/xnu-3248.60.10/iokit/Kernel/IOHibernateIO.cpp.auto.html

Here is line 2320:

if ((kIOReturnSuccess == err) && (pagesDone == gIOHibernateCurrentHeader->actualUncompressedPages))
    	err = kIOReturnLockedRead;

if (kIOReturnSuccess != err)
	panic("Hibernate restore error %x", err);

gIOHibernateCurrentHeader->actualImage2Sum = sum;
    gIOHibernateCompression = gIOHibernateCurrentHeader->compression;

It's a decent machine, and with the SSD it should be no slouch, but it is, and it's the only machine I have right now. For the past 12 weeks I've been in lockdown 120 miles from my desktop machine and I don't know when we'll be able to go home! Some days I'm ready to throw it out of the window.

I'm afraid that is probably the best option - after restoring your backup to your new MacBook Pro, of course. 😀

I did read something on the net which suggested the internal SATA ribbon cable might be at fault, but I haven't tried changing that yet.

That is quite likely. However, it is an 8 year-old machine. I was only partially joking above. You need to make a Time Machine backup.

Do this now.

If anyone out there has any suggestions which don't involve replacing the Macbook with the latest model

You want suggestions other than the only obvious and guaranteed solution? Good luck with that.

Do not attempt to upgrade the machine. I expect that would be a spectacular failure and take all of your data with it.

Jun 3, 2020 5:17 AM in response to Graham.R

UPDATE:

I looked on Amazon for a new SATA ribbon connector, and discovered that it also handles IR receiver... and the sleep sensor!

I ordered one for £15, and 15 minutes after it arrived, my MacBook is running exactly as a pretty decent (if elderly) machine with an SSD should. Disk access is much snappier than before. Applications such as Firefox and Photoshop open with a single bounce. I've just stepped down a long list of large images (jpg, tif & psd) using QuickLook and it didn't beachball on me after the first 10 images. I am a happy bunny!

G.

Macbook Pro has panics and occasional coma!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.