Panic CPU CATERR detected

Product: MacBook Pro 16 inch, 2019, 2,3 GHz 8-core Intel Core i9, Intel UHD Graphics 630, 64GB RAM, 4 TB SSD, T2 chip, Ventura 13.4.1

Summary: The computer kernel panics and reboots while going to sleep mode (around 1 minute after turning off the screen) on battery and power. Crash report with Kernel Panic CPU CATERR detected error generated each time.

Additional errors: AFPS SSD disk “Storage system verify or repair failed (-69716)” detected after checking the main volume. The error is not fixable by DiskUtility (fsck).

Actual status: CPU CATERR resolved by SMC reset https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295. SSD error fixed by MacOS Ventura clean install above reformatted SSD.

Description:

I began experiencing frequent reboots of my 2019 MacBook Pro a few days ago. 99% of the time, the problem occurs after closing the lid or turning off the screen.

This computer is primarily used for photo editing and management in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. A third-party Wacom driver has been installed.

There was an unrepairable SSD error 69716 found on the main volume after the primary volume check.

Solution:

After a quick glance at the Panic CPU CATERR detected (error) - Apple Community, a few steps are measured to perform.

• As far as kernel panic CPU CATERR was detected each time while going to sleep, the first step was resetting the NVRAM Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support, which did not resolve the issue.
  • Using the terminal command "sudo pmset -a sleep 0" worked as a workaround solution for disabling sleep mode. There are no more kernel panics. The root cause of the problem was not resolved, but it gave time to back up the data.
  • The actual user data have been backed up, and Ventura has been installed in recovery mode over the erased SSD volume (command (⌘)-R on reboot)
  • Kernel panic CPU CATERR continued with a new, clean Ventura install (no third-party software).
  • Switching to hibernation mode 0 or 25 by terminal commands “sudo pmset -a hibernation 0” and “sudo pmset -a hibernation 25” did not resolve the issue. The hibernation mode has been restored to its original 3.
  • Finally Kernel panic issue has been resolved by resetting the SMC (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295).

Hope it will help. Take care.

Posted on Jul 10, 2023 12:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 7:17 PM

Most likely a hardware failure with the Logic Board since it includes the CPU, GPU, SSD, memory, WiFi card, T2 security chip.

First disconnect all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem.

If that does not solve the problem, then try a firmware "Restore" which will reset the T2 security chip, firmware, and prepare the SSD for a clean install by using Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R). FYI, once the firmware "Restore" is performed, Internet Recovery Mode is the only way to reinstall macOS again since there is no way to boot from USB because the laptop's security settings have been reset so there are no longer any macOS user accounts to authenticate so there is no way to modify the laptop's security settings to allow booting from USB until macOS has been reinstalled & setup with a new macOS admin user account. Make sure to thoroughly test the laptop with a clean install before installing any third party apps and before restoring from a backup so that you don't bring the problem back. This is the only way to figure out if the issue is truly hardware or software.

Most "CPU CATERR" errors are hardware related, after all it means CPU CATastrophic ERRor. Resetting the T2 chip & firmware is about the only hope, plus it also destroys all data on the internal SSD so when Apple replaces the Logic Board you don't have to worry about your data (the data on 2018+ models is hardware encrypted, but only as secure as the passwords used for the accounts).

FYI, the MBPro 2019 models seem to have Logic Boards with a high rate of failure (especially the 16" model) compared to other models. The symptoms you have described here are classic signs even without the CPU CATERR reported. Personally I've been advising our organization not to repair the 2019 models because of the high failure rate of these Logic Boards. Plus the laptop is now between 3 - 4 years old so that means the battery may be nearing the time it will need to be replaced (easily $250 US) so consider that when you are provided an estimate for the Logic Board replacement which will be extremely expensive. These forums are full of posts with people having issues with the 2019 model (especially the 16" version) for various issues, but those various issues usually require a Logic Board replacement (at least for those people who follow up later on). If you must keep current with macOS for work, then consider how much longer Apple will be supporting the 2019 Intel model...may be better to invest the money into a new Apple Silicon Mac.

I am 95% certain you need to have the Logic Board replaced. Make sure to have a good backup since the internal SSD is integrated into the Logic Board. Apple assumes users have good backups....Apple will not backup your data.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2023 7:17 PM in response to Alex Vronsky

Most likely a hardware failure with the Logic Board since it includes the CPU, GPU, SSD, memory, WiFi card, T2 security chip.

First disconnect all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem.

If that does not solve the problem, then try a firmware "Restore" which will reset the T2 security chip, firmware, and prepare the SSD for a clean install by using Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R). FYI, once the firmware "Restore" is performed, Internet Recovery Mode is the only way to reinstall macOS again since there is no way to boot from USB because the laptop's security settings have been reset so there are no longer any macOS user accounts to authenticate so there is no way to modify the laptop's security settings to allow booting from USB until macOS has been reinstalled & setup with a new macOS admin user account. Make sure to thoroughly test the laptop with a clean install before installing any third party apps and before restoring from a backup so that you don't bring the problem back. This is the only way to figure out if the issue is truly hardware or software.

Most "CPU CATERR" errors are hardware related, after all it means CPU CATastrophic ERRor. Resetting the T2 chip & firmware is about the only hope, plus it also destroys all data on the internal SSD so when Apple replaces the Logic Board you don't have to worry about your data (the data on 2018+ models is hardware encrypted, but only as secure as the passwords used for the accounts).

FYI, the MBPro 2019 models seem to have Logic Boards with a high rate of failure (especially the 16" model) compared to other models. The symptoms you have described here are classic signs even without the CPU CATERR reported. Personally I've been advising our organization not to repair the 2019 models because of the high failure rate of these Logic Boards. Plus the laptop is now between 3 - 4 years old so that means the battery may be nearing the time it will need to be replaced (easily $250 US) so consider that when you are provided an estimate for the Logic Board replacement which will be extremely expensive. These forums are full of posts with people having issues with the 2019 model (especially the 16" version) for various issues, but those various issues usually require a Logic Board replacement (at least for those people who follow up later on). If you must keep current with macOS for work, then consider how much longer Apple will be supporting the 2019 Intel model...may be better to invest the money into a new Apple Silicon Mac.

I am 95% certain you need to have the Logic Board replaced. Make sure to have a good backup since the internal SSD is integrated into the Logic Board. Apple assumes users have good backups....Apple will not backup your data.

Jul 10, 2023 2:32 PM in response to Alex Vronsky

Alex Vronsky wrote:

Product: MacBook Pro 16 inch, 2019, 2,3 GHz 8-core Intel Core i9, Intel UHD Graphics 630, 64GB RAM, 4 TB SSD, T2 chip, Ventura 13.4.1

Actual status: CPU CATERR resolved by SMC reset https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295. SSD error fixed by MacOS Ventura clean install above reformatted SSD.

ok Alex Vronsky

Jul 13, 2023 5:04 AM in response to Alex Vronsky

Product: MacBook Pro 16 inch, 2019, 2,3 GHz 8-core Intel Core i9, Intel UHD Graphics 630, 64GB RAM, 4 TB SSD, T2 chip, Ventura 13.4.1 (the same as in the initial post)

Summary: Whenever the computer exits standby mode, it experiences a kernel panic and automatically reboots. However, sleep mode functions correctly (I'd like you to look at the first topic post). A crash report is generated each time, indicating a Kernel Panic CPU CATERR error.

Actual status: Root cause still unknown.

Workaround solution: terminal command “sudo pmset -a standby 0”

Description: I previously reported an issue with kernel panic CATERR while attempting to go to sleep mode. After resolving this issue, I encountered another error where the computer experienced kernel panics and reboots when coming out of standby mode after an overnight period. In my situation, the computer enters standby mode after being in sleep mode on battery for more than 180 minutes (the default value for “pmset standbydelaylow 10800”). A crash report with the Kernel Panic CPU CATERR error is generated each time this happens.

Solution: I have found a temporary solution to prevent my MacBook from entering standby mode. I used a terminal command “sudo pmset -a standby 0” to prevent the computer from the kernel panic state. However, it’s essential to use this workaround with caution as it may cause the battery to drain faster if the laptop is inactive for an extended period.

Question to the Skynet: Any ideas about the root cause and the ways to fix it? Aside from replacing the logic board, which seems obvious but is an unreasonably expensive solution.

Panic CPU CATERR detected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.