Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Frequent restarts with kernel panic errors after upgrading to macOS Monterey 12.5

I have a 2019 16 inch, Core i7, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD, 4GB AMD Radeon GPU MacBook Pro.

The issue started in late 2021 after upgrading from BigSur to Monterey.

Immediately after the upgrade was finished, the system restarted while it was waiting at the login screen.

This continued for several months, where it would restart mostly when idle.

The system would become unresponsive, fans spinning up fast, and then restarting with a kernel panic error message.

I hoped it would get fixed with 12.1, 12.2, etc., but it didn't.

I tried the usuals- resetting the SMC and NVRAM, running diagnostics, running first aid, uninstalling third party apps, doing a clean install. etc.

Finally, I submitted the device to the service center, they serviced it, cleaned the dust, and ran advanced

diagnostics available to them. They did not find any issues.

It worked fine after that, but the issue cropped up again immediately after upgrading to 12.5.

Now I am confused if this is a software issue or a hardware issue, and the system is unusable with the device restarting every 5-10 minutes sometimes.

Previous shutdown cause result:

Posted on Jul 23, 2022 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2022 6:57 AM

I submitted my MacBook to the service center again, and they tried to run the diagnostics again.

They couldn't, because I had installed a Beta version of the OS before.

I told them yes, I had installed it just to see if it fixes my issue.

And apparently, downgrading the OS to a public version again doesn't downgrade the Recovery OS?

So they wiped it clean (which I always did), even the firmware (which I couldn't), and reinstalled it using a host computer.

I've been monitoring my MacBook for a week now, and both the issues I was facing seems to have gone:

1. Sleep Wake Failure: If I shut the lid and the machine goes into sleep mode, it wouldn't turn the screen ON if the lid is opened after 10 minutes. I would need to do a hard restart by pressing the power button for more than 5 seconds. (A workaround I had for this was to change the power management settings so that it hibernates within 5 minutes)
  2. Frequent restarts with kernel panics mentioned in the error logs.

So it was a good thing I had installed a non-public release, or else they would have replaced the logic board unnecessarily.

Hope this helps many out there with the same issues.

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2022 6:57 AM in response to the_gray_arrow

I submitted my MacBook to the service center again, and they tried to run the diagnostics again.

They couldn't, because I had installed a Beta version of the OS before.

I told them yes, I had installed it just to see if it fixes my issue.

And apparently, downgrading the OS to a public version again doesn't downgrade the Recovery OS?

So they wiped it clean (which I always did), even the firmware (which I couldn't), and reinstalled it using a host computer.

I've been monitoring my MacBook for a week now, and both the issues I was facing seems to have gone:

1. Sleep Wake Failure: If I shut the lid and the machine goes into sleep mode, it wouldn't turn the screen ON if the lid is opened after 10 minutes. I would need to do a hard restart by pressing the power button for more than 5 seconds. (A workaround I had for this was to change the power management settings so that it hibernates within 5 minutes)
  2. Frequent restarts with kernel panics mentioned in the error logs.

So it was a good thing I had installed a non-public release, or else they would have replaced the logic board unnecessarily.

Hope this helps many out there with the same issues.

Jul 24, 2022 9:34 AM in response to the_gray_arrow

Try as I might, I cannot find a definitive answer for what shutdown code 6 indicates ... so, whether or not, it is directly caused by macOS Monterey, or not, I can't tell you for sure.

Since you have already done what I consider the typical things to try troubleshooting kernel panics, I can only offer you two things:

1. Run an EtreCheck report. Optionally, post it here if you want assistance with interpreting its results.
  2. Downgrade to macOS Big Sur to see if the panics stop.

Ref: Using EtreCheck to Troubleshoot Potential Mac Issues - Tesserax ASC

Jul 24, 2022 10:35 AM in response to Tesserax

Please find attached EtreCheck report.

As for downgrading to BigSur, I have tried that in the past. And it worked - but only once. And I have a theory about it. Maybe, it worked because the version I had installed was BigSur 11.4 (maybe). And I experienced 0 kernel panics for close to 2 months.

Then Monterey 12.3 was released, and I was tempted to upgrade, also because I knew I could downgrade to BigSur, and it should help avoid kernel panics.

Monterey 12.3 of course gave me kernel panics. So I downgraded, and I experienced kernel panics now on BigSur as well. But, I think, it was because the BigSur that now got installed was 11.6. I tried my best to get 11.4, but couldn't, as I learnt that Apple discontinues some previous versions after some time.

I even downgraded to Catalina to just give it a try. Kernel panics on it as well.

And I think there is something that happened to all versions released after October 2021 that is either faulty, or is exposing hardware faults.

Jul 25, 2022 11:30 AM in response to Tesserax

I thought I've got a stable installation now with Big Sur 11.6.8 somehow.

But I got my first kernel panic just now after 24 hours of installing it. I am hoping it's not going to be very frequent like 12.5. Let's see.

But I ran EtreCheck again after the restart as suggested, and have attached the log along with the panic log that I get to report to Apple, and the actual full log.

Also, a thing that I have observed is that the panic log contains process id (0) which corresponds to the kernel process. So I do not know if it is some application, or a hardware issue. There is also a "tid" in the log. I've noticed it always corresponds to the SMC in the full log. This could just mean that the SMC initiated the restart, I don't know. Just me trying to investigate and make sense of the logs.

Jul 24, 2022 11:19 AM in response to the_gray_arrow

Yes, it certainly looks like you went through a number of macOS installations ... and, at the time of this report, it is running macOS Big Sur.

Reviewing your EtreCheck report (thanks for giving it a go,) I have the following observations/suggestions:

• Security: Security Updates: Disabled << I'm assuming you have this disabled for troubleshooting purposes.
  • Diagnostics Information: 2022-07-24 20:53:15 bird High CPU Use Executable: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CloudDocsDaemon.framework/Versions/A/Support/bird << This may be related to the Stuck iCloud - This computer has pending iCloud transfers in the Minor Issues section.

Unfortunately, not a lot of information from the report at this point in time. I suggest using your Mac, as is, for a few days, and then, run another report. I am looking for any kernel panic/app crash reports to show up in the Diagnostics Information section. If any panics do occur, please be sure to note the time of the occurrence if possible. Be sure not to reset your Mac's NVRAM during this period as it would erase any reports in the logs.

Jul 23, 2022 1:39 PM in response to the_gray_arrow

Taking a quick look at the screen image, a shutdown cause that has a negative value would relate to hardware causes from (mainly) the SMC. Unfortunately, Apple does not seem to provide a guide to these codes. The only reference I have is from this Eclectic Light Company article: https://eclecticlight.co/2017/02/28/mac-shutdown-and-sleep-cause-codes/

Jul 24, 2022 11:33 AM in response to Tesserax

Yes, I am back on Big Sur.

I chose to install the Shipping OS (although I knew I couldn't go too far back in time).

Which is why the report says Big Sur.

I only have installed 1 app that I definitely need for work. I am going to keep it that way for a while free of any third party apps (Even thought it didn't help in the past).

I'll post another report if🤞and when I experience a kernel panic.

Thanks for your help so far.

[Edited by Moderator]

Jul 25, 2022 11:47 AM in response to the_gray_arrow

The EtreCheck report look "clean." The one "High CPU Use" item relates to the bird process ... which is a Apple Daemon used for syncing with iCloud.

Having a quick review of the minimal panic report indicates that a watchdog panic occurred. As you probably already know, the watchdogd process ensures that both the kernel and user spaces are making progress. If either get "stuck," a reboot is triggered by watchdog.

I'll review the full panic report when I get a bit of time. It will be interesting to see what Apple makes of them.

Jul 25, 2022 9:57 PM in response to Barney-15E

I hadn't done that the first time, but every subsequent time I reinstalled different versions of macOS, I have deleted volumes and erased the entire SSD to resolve this issue.

I even turn off iCloud Drive and iCloud Photos on the Mac immediately after setting up the Mac.

Even before I could install any apps, it usually hangs and restarts while I am setting up some other things like Menu bar, view options, etc.

Currently I only have Microsoft Remote Desktop installed, but I've experienced kernel panics even with no third party apps installed right after a fresh install.

A workaround I have is to keep the Music app open with the visualizer window in fullscreen to keep it busy and stop kernel panicking.

Frequent restarts with kernel panic errors after upgrading to macOS Monterey 12.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.