Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro a1989 kernel panic

Hi, a few days ago I bought a used MacBook Pro 2018 13' A1989 and when Installed macOS it suddenly shut down, showing a Kernel panic screen almost every time I tried to boot it.

These are a few kernel panic logs which I could save using Safe mode (It apparently works fine just a bit slow).

I also attach an Etrecheck log(Kernel Panic included)

After a lot of tries I managed to boot and run macOS on an External Drive and it works perfectly but for some reason only works with the charger plugged in. The battery was changed recently so I assume it may be a Hardware problem, while booted in Safe Mode with no charger and no External drive it works fine but I can't find the problem.

I hope there's some workaround or method to boot into normal mode using an external drive without the charger plugged in.If so I would use it as normal.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 28, 2022 11:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2022 4:30 PM

Nothing stands out in the report except for the log summaries. I have seen other people post reports showing multiple "ProxiedBridge-Device" logs for 2018-2019 laptops which otherwise have clean EtreCheck reports. Unfortunately I'm not sure what causes the problem, although I suspect some sort of hardware issue. Considering what you have already tried, I think the Logic Board is most likely bad.

Make sure to disconnect all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem.

If you can boot the laptop normally with the external drive, but can only boot the internal drive with Safe Mode, it likely indicates one of two things. Either you have some third party software installed on the internal drive which is interfering with the normal operation of macOS, or the internal SSD may be bad.

Run DriveDx and post the complete text report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. The Apple SSDs don't include much information in their health report, but it never hurts to check just in case something does show up.

When you installed macOS on the internal SSD, did you first erase the whole drive? If not, then maybe the file system has an issue. Try running Disk Utility First Aid on the hidden Container. Within Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the hidden Container appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Even if First Aid says everything is "Ok", click "Show Details" and scroll back through the report to see if any unfixed errors are listed. If there are any unfixed errors listed, then you should run First Aid from Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R), otherwise you will need to erase the whole physical SSD.

The only other thing you can try is "Restoring" the firmware on the laptop which will reset the T2 security chip and push a clean version of macOS onto the internal drive. You will need access to another Mac running macOS 10.15+.

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. A passing diagnostic does not mean everything is fine. The only useful diagnostic is one which produces an error code or freezes during testing.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2022 4:30 PM in response to erikpr

Nothing stands out in the report except for the log summaries. I have seen other people post reports showing multiple "ProxiedBridge-Device" logs for 2018-2019 laptops which otherwise have clean EtreCheck reports. Unfortunately I'm not sure what causes the problem, although I suspect some sort of hardware issue. Considering what you have already tried, I think the Logic Board is most likely bad.

Make sure to disconnect all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem.

If you can boot the laptop normally with the external drive, but can only boot the internal drive with Safe Mode, it likely indicates one of two things. Either you have some third party software installed on the internal drive which is interfering with the normal operation of macOS, or the internal SSD may be bad.

Run DriveDx and post the complete text report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. The Apple SSDs don't include much information in their health report, but it never hurts to check just in case something does show up.

When you installed macOS on the internal SSD, did you first erase the whole drive? If not, then maybe the file system has an issue. Try running Disk Utility First Aid on the hidden Container. Within Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the hidden Container appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Even if First Aid says everything is "Ok", click "Show Details" and scroll back through the report to see if any unfixed errors are listed. If there are any unfixed errors listed, then you should run First Aid from Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R), otherwise you will need to erase the whole physical SSD.

The only other thing you can try is "Restoring" the firmware on the laptop which will reset the T2 security chip and push a clean version of macOS onto the internal drive. You will need access to another Mac running macOS 10.15+.

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. A passing diagnostic does not mean everything is fine. The only useful diagnostic is one which produces an error code or freezes during testing.

Macbook pro a1989 kernel panic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.