Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What if the previous owner already did this and still doesn't work?

I have a old 5s iPhone and it has an activation lock. The previous owner had taken it off their iCloud account as they haven't used it in over 5 years. Is there another way of unlocking the phone

iPhone 5s

Posted on May 31, 2020 12:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2020 12:29 PM

Activation Lock Problem

If you purchased the device second-hand, then it is useless without the Apple ID and password to which it is locked. If you don't have it, can't remember it or cannot get it, then the device is useless to you. Try to get your money refunded, if you can, or take it to an Apple store for an exchange provided they will help you. If you are the original owner, then take the device, a copy of your purchase receipt and identity proof to an Apple retailer where they may be able to assist you. For a deceased owner, you will need a certified copy of the Death Certificate, the device, proof of inheritance and proof of your identity. Take all to your local Apple Store for help. Note: there is no guarantee that anyone can gain access to the device.

About Activation Lock on your Mac - Apple Support

Activation Lock - Turn off Find My iPhone

About Activation Lock on your Apple Watch - Apple Support.

Turn off Activation Lock - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2020 12:29 PM in response to dufas02

Activation Lock Problem

If you purchased the device second-hand, then it is useless without the Apple ID and password to which it is locked. If you don't have it, can't remember it or cannot get it, then the device is useless to you. Try to get your money refunded, if you can, or take it to an Apple store for an exchange provided they will help you. If you are the original owner, then take the device, a copy of your purchase receipt and identity proof to an Apple retailer where they may be able to assist you. For a deceased owner, you will need a certified copy of the Death Certificate, the device, proof of inheritance and proof of your identity. Take all to your local Apple Store for help. Note: there is no guarantee that anyone can gain access to the device.

About Activation Lock on your Mac - Apple Support

Activation Lock - Turn off Find My iPhone

About Activation Lock on your Apple Watch - Apple Support.

Turn off Activation Lock - Apple Support

May 31, 2020 12:51 PM in response to dufas02

See If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201472 --this heading If Find My [device] is enabled on your missing device.

"Erase your device. To prevent anyone else from accessing the data on your missing device, you can erase it remotely. When you erase your device, all of your information (including credit, debit, or prepaid cards for Apple Pay) is deleted from the device, and you won't be able to find it using the Find My app or Find iPhone on iCloud.com. After you erase a device, you can't track it. If you remove the device from your account after you erase it, Activation Lock will be turned off. This allows another person to turn on and use your device."

What if the previous owner already did this and still doesn't work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.