Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to unmute a Macbook

how to unmute a Macbook

Posted on May 31, 2020 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2020 2:01 PM

A Few Thoughts:

• Restart the Mac:

Perhaps you've unknowingly installed an update, and all needs to rest. For, restart the Mac. See if it then works.

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for Sound) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM.

• Boot into Safe Mode:

When you boot into Safe Mode, items load by default, with all settings and caches set aside. So, hold down the shift key upon boot. See what happens then.

• Create a New Administrator:

See if creating and logging in as a new administrator does the trick. There may be something misconfigured in your current user - something that is getting in the way. Go to: System Preferences > Users & Groups > Unlock > Click: "+" > Create the new administrator

• Check Force Quit:

See if something is listed as "(Not Responding)". Go to: Apple Menu > Force Quit... > Select anything ending with "(Not Responding)". Also, which in Force Quit... be sure to select Finder, and Click "Relaunch"

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2020 2:01 PM in response to d_e_m_i_2

A Few Thoughts:

• Restart the Mac:

Perhaps you've unknowingly installed an update, and all needs to rest. For, restart the Mac. See if it then works.

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for Sound) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM.

• Boot into Safe Mode:

When you boot into Safe Mode, items load by default, with all settings and caches set aside. So, hold down the shift key upon boot. See what happens then.

• Create a New Administrator:

See if creating and logging in as a new administrator does the trick. There may be something misconfigured in your current user - something that is getting in the way. Go to: System Preferences > Users & Groups > Unlock > Click: "+" > Create the new administrator

• Check Force Quit:

See if something is listed as "(Not Responding)". Go to: Apple Menu > Force Quit... > Select anything ending with "(Not Responding)". Also, which in Force Quit... be sure to select Finder, and Click "Relaunch"

May 31, 2020 1:46 PM in response to d_e_m_i_2

If you don't hear sound from the built-in internal speakers on your Mac, the first step is to make sure that you're using the latest version of macOS. Back up your important information and then update the software on your Mac.

If you still can't hear sound from the internal speakers after updating your computer's software, check your sound settings.

First, disconnect any external audio devices from your computer. Also disconnect any cables from the USB, Thunderbolt, FireWire, or 3.5mm audio ports.

1. From the Apple () menu, choose System Preferences.
  2. Select Sound.
  3. Click the Output tab, then select Internal Speakers. If you don’t see Internal Speakers as an option in the Output window, contact Apple Support.
  4. If the volume slider is set low, move the slider to the right and test again.
  5. If the Mute checkbox is selected, deselect it and test again.
  6. If you still don’t hear any sound, contact Apple Support.

Hope it helps!

how to unmute a Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.