Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two Migration Questions

Have a MacBook Pro (2013) that has TWO users on it. One of those is from a previous machine when this one was purchased. Purchasing a new MacBook Air and do NOT want to have two users on it.

1) How can I move all files (not programs) from User 1 to User 2 on that MacBook Pro?

THEN.....

2) How can I DELETE User1

Thanks,

John

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 3:54 PM

Hey there jgardnersr,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! Thanks for your question about migrating your data over to the new Mac. I'd be glad to see how I can help.

One thing you could do is use Migration Assistant to move both of those users over to the new Mac and then use an external drive of some sort to move the specific content you want from user 2 over to user 1 and then just remove user 2 from System Preferences > Users & Groups by unlocking the lock with the admin password, highlighting the user you wish to delete and clicking the minus (-) below the list.

How to move your content to a new Mac has information on how to use Migration Assistant and the "Move files to or from an external storage device" section of Use external storage devices with Mac will do a great job of explaining how to move content to and from an external drive to get it on the right user account prior to deleting that second user using the steps in Delete a user or group on Mac.

Hopefully that helps!

Be well.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2020 3:54 PM in response to jgardnersr

Hey there jgardnersr,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! Thanks for your question about migrating your data over to the new Mac. I'd be glad to see how I can help.

One thing you could do is use Migration Assistant to move both of those users over to the new Mac and then use an external drive of some sort to move the specific content you want from user 2 over to user 1 and then just remove user 2 from System Preferences > Users & Groups by unlocking the lock with the admin password, highlighting the user you wish to delete and clicking the minus (-) below the list.

How to move your content to a new Mac has information on how to use Migration Assistant and the "Move files to or from an external storage device" section of Use external storage devices with Mac will do a great job of explaining how to move content to and from an external drive to get it on the right user account prior to deleting that second user using the steps in Delete a user or group on Mac.

Hopefully that helps!

Be well.

Two Migration Questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.