Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet option missing from Network in system preferences

Good Day;

I have used the ethernet connection my iMac for a number of years, only switching to wifi occasionally. having used wifi recently when I attempted to switch back to ethernet, that option is missing from Network/(Location) automatic.

I restarted iMac

Shutdown and restarted iMac

reset NVRAM/PRAM

Reset Router

All of these were no change.

Under location, edited/locations, I added the name ethernet. This then gave me USBController , wifi, bluetooth pan, Ethernet and Thunder "something" Bridge. Activating Ethernet, the connection worked fine, although only when Location: is Set to Ethernet.

Why did ethernet disappear from the Automatic location? Can I get it back?

Is my only option re-installing Mojave? Will re-installing Mojave leave all my applications and data intact?

Thanks for any input.

Neil

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 8:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 3:54 PM

Hello;

I found my solution. I wish I had found it before spending an hour reloading Mojave. https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/mac-help/mchlp1102/10.14/mac/10.14

"Change network settings on Mac"

Regards

Neil

4 replies

Jun 1, 2020 8:33 AM in response to Tuco09

Neil,

Do you have any antivirus, cleaning or any other third party "maintenance" apps installed? If so, that may be cause and they should be uninstalled per the developers instructions.

However if you do not, please ensure your backup is working and then restart in the Recovery Partition (Command + R on startup) and install Mac OS . This type of install will NOT affect your apps or data, it will simply fill in missing parts of Mac OS. It is possible when you installed Mojave, you had a corrupt install.

Jun 1, 2020 3:41 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Good Day;

I have no antivirus, cleaning or maintenance apps installed. I do have and use EtreCheck and Malwarebytes once in a while.

I have time machine backups. I re-installed Mojave with (Command + R), no change in Ethernet situation. I had installed Mojave from day one and have had no issue with this until very recently.

Thanks anyway, looking for more input.

Neil

Ethernet option missing from Network in system preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.