Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Unicode display differently in High Sierra and Catalina?

I love to type arrows! Instead of using kluges like --->, I like using unicode arrows, such as ⟶. I found a bunch of them, such as: ➡ ⬅ ⮕ ⮕ ➜ ➞ ⬅ ➔ ⇦ 🡄 ⟸ ⟹ ➙ ➨ ← ⟵ and ⟶ .

But I've found that High Sierra and Catalina render these somewhat differently -- even though all the characters are (I believe) standard Unicode, set in standard "Unicode fonts" that are supposed to be able to render almost all Unicode characters.

Here's what I mean. Below, lines 1 and 3 are screenshots pasted as graphics -- 1 from an old Mac Mini running High Sierra, and 3 from the machine I'm using right now, a recent MacBook Air running Catalina. In between, on line 2, are the raw Unicode characters that were screen-shotted above and below:

1   High Sierra: 

2   Actual characters:

➡ ⬅ ⮕ ⮕ ➜ ➞ ⬅ ➔ ⇦ 🡄 ⟸ ⟹ ➙ ➨ ← ⟵ ⟶ 

3   Catalina:

I'm guessing that most people reading this now will have line 2 match either line 1 or line 3.

Does anybody else see this? Is there a setting on my Mac Mini/High Sierra that will render all those arrows correctly? I'm particularly concerned that the heavy left-arrow and the corresponding heavy right-arrow don't show up all the time (these are the 4th and 5th characters from the left); it's very inconvenient to be able to point forcefully to the left, but not to the right!

Thanks, in advance, everybody, for your help in understanding this puzzle.

MacBook Air 13″, 10.15

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 1:07 PM

Apple's fonts don't in fact cover all Unicode characters. For example the 5th and 6th characters which are missing in the top example are U+2b95, which is not in any Apple supplied font in High Sierra. In Catalina it seems that a this omission has been fixed.

If you want to see it in High Sierra, download the font called Symbola

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2020 1:07 PM in response to phdtop

Apple's fonts don't in fact cover all Unicode characters. For example the 5th and 6th characters which are missing in the top example are U+2b95, which is not in any Apple supplied font in High Sierra. In Catalina it seems that a this omission has been fixed.

If you want to see it in High Sierra, download the font called Symbola

Jun 1, 2020 3:07 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks! That was very helpful.

After I posted my question, I searched around and found that the fonts that try to do as much Unicode as possible will often add characters over time, so "Lucida Sans Unicode" for one system could cover more or fewer characters than "Lucida Sans Unicode" for another system, or for the same system at a different time. That's just weird, grin.

Especially if my High Sierra has a font that draws the heavy-right-arrow character but not the heavy-left-arrow character -- how on earth would THAT ever happen?!? Well, hmmmmmm, looking at the chart that BDAqua supplied, the "black-left-arrow" character is next to similar up and down arrows, but nowhere near the corresponding black-right-arrow character... which would be Unicode's choice, not the font designer's choice. Again, weird! But now it's explained.

(Or more precisely, there *IS* a right-arrow character next to the heavy-left-arrow character, but it's in different proportions and is hard to pick out, from a distance, as an arrow, so I wouldn't want to use both of them in the same document.)

Does Unicode display differently in High Sierra and Catalina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.