Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete photos from Windows computer, but NOT from iCloud?

I downloaded the iCloud app to my Windows Computer, so I could make a back up of all my iphone photos on a hard-drive - in addition to the iCloud. Now all the photos have downloaded and I saved them to my hard-drive. Yet, they are taking up too much space on my computer, so I want to delete them from my PC.

How do I delete the photos -I downloaded through the ICloud app- from my computer drive WITHOUT deleting them from the iCloud?

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 7:47 AM

Hi there jeanine182,

It sounds as though you're looking to free up storage by deleting photos on your computer without deleting them from iCloud. Managing storage is important, I'd be happy to assist in seeking a solution.

Below are resources that can help:

Delete photos and videos in iCloud for Windows

This resource includes details on how the deleting photos process works depending on which version of iCloud for Windows is being used.

Have a great day!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2020 7:47 AM in response to jeanine182

Hi there jeanine182,

It sounds as though you're looking to free up storage by deleting photos on your computer without deleting them from iCloud. Managing storage is important, I'd be happy to assist in seeking a solution.

Below are resources that can help:

Delete photos and videos in iCloud for Windows

This resource includes details on how the deleting photos process works depending on which version of iCloud for Windows is being used.

Have a great day!

Jun 11, 2020 11:23 AM in response to jeanine182

im not sure that the guidance does help. 2 pages contradict each other although the second appears to be correct that deleting on PC removes from PC but not from iCloud

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT205328#:~:text=In%20iCloud%20for%20Windows%2011.1%2C%20photos%20and%20videos%20that%20you,be%20deleted%20in%20iCloud%20Photos. says "And when you delete a photo or video on your PC, it will also be deleted in iCloud Photos."

however https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/icloud/mm0fa5ca1bc1/icloud says "iCloud for Windows version 11 or later: The files and thumbnails are removed from your PC but are still stored in iCloud Photos. If a photo or video is edited on another device, the thumbnail reappears on your PC."

How to delete photos from Windows computer, but NOT from iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.