Deleting photos from PC but not the iCloud

All my iCloud Photos downloaded to my PC from the iCloud. I want to keep them in iCloud but delete them off my PC. How can I do this? What does “Free up space” do if I highlight the photos, right click, and select Free up space”? Does this delete them from my PC but keep them on iCloud?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 4:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2023 8:23 AM

Hi SehlMan,

When you select the 'Free up space' option in the iCloud Photos folder and you see the cloud icon next to the filename in File Explorer, it is no longer using local storage on your PC but is still stored in iCloud, therefore freeing up local storage on your PC. If you delete these pictures in this area, they will be removed from iCloud and all your devices.

If you no longer want to sync iCloud Photos with just your PC, open iCloud for Windows, select 'Options' next to Photos, and then deselect iCloud Photos. This will make it so your photos are still stored in iCloud but will no longer be synced with this Windows PC.

If you are trying to make more available storage in iCloud, this article walks you through how to do this: Manage your iCloud storage

For further assistance, Apple Support would be the best equipped to help. Contact them using the links we previously sent over or by calling the phone number most applicable to you from here: Contact Apple for support and service

Best regards.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2023 8:23 AM in response to SehlMan

Hi SehlMan,

When you select the 'Free up space' option in the iCloud Photos folder and you see the cloud icon next to the filename in File Explorer, it is no longer using local storage on your PC but is still stored in iCloud, therefore freeing up local storage on your PC. If you delete these pictures in this area, they will be removed from iCloud and all your devices.

If you no longer want to sync iCloud Photos with just your PC, open iCloud for Windows, select 'Options' next to Photos, and then deselect iCloud Photos. This will make it so your photos are still stored in iCloud but will no longer be synced with this Windows PC.

If you are trying to make more available storage in iCloud, this article walks you through how to do this: Manage your iCloud storage

For further assistance, Apple Support would be the best equipped to help. Contact them using the links we previously sent over or by calling the phone number most applicable to you from here: Contact Apple for support and service

Best regards.

Aug 3, 2023 3:21 PM in response to SnickZ.

Just to clarify, the downloaded photos are photos from my iPhone. I am using my iPhone to store the current photos. Previous photos have been downloaded to my PC, moved to a saved photos folder and deleted from the photos download directory and manually from iCloud and my iPhone photos folder.

However, in this case, I would like to move them to a storage folder on my PC, delete them from my iCloud Photos download folder on my PC but not from the iCloud which also removes them from my iPhone. I used to be able to do this until the latest update.

How do I set my computer back to where it only deletes the photos on my PC and not in iCloud?

Aug 3, 2023 12:05 PM in response to SehlMan

Hello SehlMan,

You ask some great questions and we'd be happy to explain. First off, it's important to understand that iCloud is not a storage service; it's a backup and syncing option. This means that content can be copied to iCloud from one or more devices, but not stored there as the only location the data exists. So, if you remove data like your photos from your PC, they would be removed from your iCloud as well, if you have it set up on your computer that way.

This article explains more about iCloud Photos: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

If the “Free up space” is referring to your iCloud storage, this is how you can free up space in iCloud: Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support. You’ll want to follow the steps for your Windows PC.

If you’re unsure and you’d like some help managing your iCloud storage, feel free to contact Apple Support. They’ll be glad to help: Get Support

We hope this helps. Let us know if we can assist with anything else at all. Take care.

Aug 3, 2023 3:36 PM in response to SehlMan

Hi SehlMan,

In this case, we'd recommend trying the steps in Remove iCloud files and photos to free up space on your PC - Apple Support which will allow you to remove downloaded photos to free up storage while still retaining them in iCloud. Guidance is as follows.

1. On your Windows computer, open File Explorer, then click iCloud Drive or iCloud Photos in the Navigation pane.
2. Right-click a file that you want to remove. For iCloud Drive, you can also select a folder that contains downloaded content.
You can see the download status of a file or folder in iCloud Drive or a photo or video in iCloud Photosnext to the filename in File Explorer.
3. In the shortcut menu, choose “Free up space.”
Once the item has been removed, you see A cloud icon next to the filename in File Explorer. It’s still stored in iCloud, but is no longer downloaded to your PC.
Note: If the item was pinned, it will be unpinned.

If you need more help, it would be best to reach out to Apple Support from Get Support.

Cheers!

Deleting photos from PC but not the iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.