Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBA freezes overnight, will not wake.

I just upgraded to 10.15.5 from 10.14. Everything works fine except for one problem. For the past two nights, since the OS upgrade, my Macbook Air (purchased in 2017) refuses to wake in the morning. Eight hours of non-use freezes the computer. There are uploads running overnight, but these are not enough to keep the computer operational. In the morning I can hear the fans running, but the keyboard and screen are dark, and no amount of key tapping will wake the computer. I have to restart the Air to get back to work.

As you can imagine this is extremely annoying. May I have a few suggestions as how to track down this problem and make a fix? Thanks everyone.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 4:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 11:37 PM

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook Air here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook Air here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. Enter ➔ Safe Mode and see if the screen issue still exists in Safe mode. Log out of Safe Mode and then reboot computer. If that does not solve things then-
  4. Finally if none of the above works then you can enter ➔ macOS Recovery Mode and reinstall the macOS and see if that solves it.

Axel F.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2020 11:37 PM in response to Ian999

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook Air here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook Air here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. Enter ➔ Safe Mode and see if the screen issue still exists in Safe mode. Log out of Safe Mode and then reboot computer. If that does not solve things then-
  4. Finally if none of the above works then you can enter ➔ macOS Recovery Mode and reinstall the macOS and see if that solves it.

Axel F.

MBA freezes overnight, will not wake.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.