Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

For months my macbook pro has been restarting with kernal panics.

For months my macbook pro has been restarting with kernal panics. I have reinstalled my os and updated it but I still have the same problem. Can anyone tell me what is happening and what this means. Please help!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 4:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 6:32 PM

The Kernel Panic is related to the SSD. Either the SSD is failing or you may have some third party software installed which is interfering with the driver for the SSD.

Did you perform a clean install of macOS by first erasing the physical drive before reinstalling macOS? Did you test macOS before restoring or migrating from a backup? If not, then you still have the same software installed which may be causing the problem.

You can run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2020 6:32 PM in response to Godessofcandy

The Kernel Panic is related to the SSD. Either the SSD is failing or you may have some third party software installed which is interfering with the driver for the SSD.

Did you perform a clean install of macOS by first erasing the physical drive before reinstalling macOS? Did you test macOS before restoring or migrating from a backup? If not, then you still have the same software installed which may be causing the problem.

You can run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

Jun 7, 2020 4:55 PM in response to Godessofcandy

Godessofcandy wrote:

Okay so I need a new drive to store my backup rather than the samsung one that I have? and then I can reinitialize the drives with disk utility after that?

Yes, exactly.

You haven't allowed Time machine to run for 10 days or more.

You still have McAfee loaded.

You also have had kernel panic 20 times in photo analysis. That could easily be caused by anti-virus scanning your photos, looking for virus patterns from old Windows Viruses, that simply are not a threat on your Mac, because your Mac restricts what can be EXECUTED, and generally does not care what patterns are just lying around in files.

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

Jun 15, 2020 8:20 AM in response to Godessofcandy

That is an NVMe drive issue:

panic ... nvme: "InitializeNVMe error =

If it happens again, use this article to see if your unit qualifies for an Apple recall.

If it is till happening, even if your using does not qualify, you should use the "contact support" and ask them what can be done about this problem.

13-inch MacBook Pro (non Touch Bar) Solid-State Drive Service Program - Apple Support

The service program applies only to specific group of Macs built at a certain time with certain components, but there may be other suggestions they have that regular user here do not have.

Jun 6, 2020 12:39 PM in response to Godessofcandy

First re-enable the Apple security (SIP) right away by using these instructions:

https://osxdaily.com/2018/08/09/how-enable-sip-system-integrity-protection-mac/

It is very dangerous to disable SIP as some people discovered last year when a Google Chrome update prevented users from booting their computers.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/09/no-it-wasnt-a-virus-it-was-chrome-that-stopped-macs-from-booting/

Second, uninstall McAfee by following the developer's instructions. AV software is not needed on a Mac and it usually causes more problems than it solves plus it impacts system performance.

Jun 6, 2020 2:45 PM in response to Godessofcandy

If you change preferences to "enable Full drive access" and run again, you will get a digest of recent kernel panics, not available without full drive access. You will also get Time machine status.

Kernel Extensions:

/Library/Extensions

Wireless360Controller.kext (1.0.0d15 - SDK 10.10)

WirelessGamingReceiver.kext (1.0.0d15 - SDK 10.10)

360Controller.kext (1.0.0d15 - SDK 10.10)

SamsungPortableSSDDriver.kext (1.5.03 - SDK 10.7)

SamsungPortableSSDDriverX.kext (1.5.09 - SDK 10.12)

When you decide to use (or don't think about) using a manufacturers disk drivers, the drives they control will ONLY be available when these Drivers are loaded. In particular these drives will NOT be available In Safe Mode, Recovery mode or after a disaster.

You must NOT use such a drive to hold your only backup, or you will have no backup -- it will not be available until AFTER you have MacOS up and running with the Samsung driver downloaded and added in.

Best practice is to initialize drives with Disk Utility only in most cases, but you cannot re-initialize now without erasing all the data as a side-effect. So you need someplace to store that data, or start a new backup on a new drive and erase the Samsung-controlled drives later..

For months my macbook pro has been restarting with kernal panics.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.