Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Dictation Duplicating Entry Randomly

I'm having an strange issue with dictation on a iPhone 7 running iOS 13.1.2

(Afraid to update to the iOS 13.5 hot mess which is being criticized widely ..)

And I have friends currently frustrated by the same problem

Most of us do most of our dictation with the iPhone's messaging app so that is usually where the problem shows up but not exclusively

This exact issue appeared in this same group in 2016 and was never solved. Resetting Siri and the keyboard ... which was suggested there ... was not a fix in that case and not in my situation now either..

It occurs randomly but often enough to be truly vexing

PROBLEM:

Sometimes after speaking whatever it is that I need dictated, my iPhone will promptly enter the text twice, and on occasion will strip the last letter from the last word and move it to the end of the duplicated part.

This is been going on for months, but I can't recall exactly when it started.... nor can my friends with the same problem.

HELP!

db

General feedback / complaint:

Dictation used to be so solid on iPhone.

Then Apple added AI based correction and moved insertion control to the space bar and now with this new duplication glitch Dictation is so freaking FIDDLY and time consuming that it's almost unusable.

I learned how to turn off the AI based correction text features ... which was an incredible improvement ... but I am still stuck with the space bar insertion control tool... the beauty of an iPhone USED to be NOT having a touchpad ... just use your finger directly on the entire screen... and place the insertion point amazingly easily between any two characters.

Now you can only insert with your finger clumsily in blank spaces or to select words or phrases and even then the phone is going to guess what words you want regardless of what kind of finger control you are attempting. For any finer control we have to switch to essentially a touchpad the size of the iphone space bar and trying to get it to move any distance or change lines etc requires excruciating nudge nudge aAAACH! effort.

I used to dictate letters with my iPhone and send them to my computer for word processor formatting ... now I almost can't even bear to dictate a 10 word text message. :-(

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 11:13 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Jun 2, 2020 1:20 AM in response to 4db

Purchase Apple Products from an Apple Online StoreApple Retail Stores, and many Apple-authorized resellers and wireless service providers.

Before updating to the latest iOS 13.5 as told on your post what was your earlier iOS version. Then you can look into the iOS changes that has happened between the earlier version on your iPhone and this new version that you have updated now. 

This will give you a broader idea of the issue, if it is directly linked to the iOS version or is triggered by something else.

I have iPhone 4S iOS 9.3.6, iPhone 6 12.4.7, iPhone SE iOS 13.5, iPhone 8 iOS 13.5 and an iPad Pro iPadOS 13.5. Prior to that I had iPhone 3GS which is not working any more.

I have been updating all these devices whenever a new iOS is released. I have never encountered any issue whatsoever after any update because I have never downloaded anything over internet directly. Always used apps from App Store only.

Watch the GIF below

iPhone Dictation Duplicating Entry Randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.