Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone backup asking for a password

I backed up my iPhone X to my MacBook Pro locally and specifically unchecked "encrypt backup" to install a clean iOS system. When I went to restore the phone 1 hour later I was asked for a password which I never set. Unknown to me, any likely thousands of other users, even if you uncheck "encrypt backup" if you have checked "encrypt backup" at any point in your life of Apple or if you are using your phone for business and the company installs its own security profile requiring encrypted backups the backup will be encrypted without your knowledge. While it is not the end of the world as most of my data is backed up to the Microsoft Cloud this is an issue that needs to be sorted. While Apple goes out of its way to protect users privacy it is a bit hypocritical to encrypt my data without my knowledge. It could be easily fixed by Apple asking you to verify the password before backing up or perhaps telling you that the backup is encrypted. C'mon Apple get your act together or you might just lose me and many other customers. More annoyingly the Support Agent kept saying I know how you must feel and you must be very upset. It is not only patronising but makes me angry that Apple has known about this problem for years but has yet to do anything about it.

iPhone X

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 2:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 2:48 AM

You do not remember your encrypted backup password, I can understand.

You do not remember having created an encrypted backup, I can understand this also.

This means iCloud Key chain was checked while creating the encrypted backup, because by default it is checked.

Look for it in iCloud Keychain.

Did you un-check keychain while creating the encrypted password (By default it is checked) See the pic below.

If you had un-checked then the only option that you have is, keep trying various passwords as there is no limit on number of attempts.

You may have forgotten that you had entered a password. --> About encrypted backups on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ...

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2020 2:48 AM in response to Whetstonecookie

You do not remember your encrypted backup password, I can understand.

You do not remember having created an encrypted backup, I can understand this also.

This means iCloud Key chain was checked while creating the encrypted backup, because by default it is checked.

Look for it in iCloud Keychain.

Did you un-check keychain while creating the encrypted password (By default it is checked) See the pic below.

If you had un-checked then the only option that you have is, keep trying various passwords as there is no limit on number of attempts.

You may have forgotten that you had entered a password. --> About encrypted backups on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ...

iPhone backup asking for a password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.