Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I deleted backup files from an external drive that is hooked up to my iMac. The folders now sit in the trash can on Mac. No matter what I do it can not be deleted from trash. I either get a message: The Operation can not be completed”

I deleted backup files from an external drive that hooked up to my iMac. The files are in my trash can but cannot be deleted: Operation can not be deleted the required item is in use. Until the trash is deleted permanently reduced storage space on my HD is a result of the deleted backup drives. Please help.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 4:21 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Jun 3, 2020 2:43 PM in response to BLm27EF_yaw

As den.thed says, they shouldn't be showing up from a disconnected drive.

In Finder's Menu, select Go menu>Go to Folder, and go to "/volumes". (no quotes)

Volumes is where an alias to your hard drive ("/" at boot) is placed at startup, and where all the "mount points" for auxiliary drives are created for you to access them. This folder is normally hidden from view.

Drives with an extra 1 on the end have a side-effect of mounting a drive with the same name as the system already think exists. Try trashing the duplicates with a 1 or 2 if there are no real files in them, and reboot.

If it does contain data...

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2474

I deleted backup files from an external drive that is hooked up to my iMac. The folders now sit in the trash can on Mac. No matter what I do it can not be deleted from trash. I either get a message: The Operation can not be completed”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.