Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting files from hard drive

I have a backup on an external hard drive, and now I want to delete files from this hard drive. Whenever I try to delete any item, a message saying that this can not be done as backup objects cannot be changed appears. What can I do?

For information, I have a MacBook Pro, and the hard drive in question is a LaCie one.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 6:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 6:20 AM

If you are looking to delete from a backup, below link should help you.

Delete a file from your Time Machine backup disk - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies

Sep 15, 2020 6:51 AM in response to Sharhari

Thanks, didn't read carefully enough to notice that the OP wants to delete a file in the backup directly. Normally, one would delete the file on the internal drive and then it would eventually fall out of the backup. If a file is deleted from a backup but remains on the internal drive, it will just be added back to the external drive at the next backup.

Deleting files from hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.