Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I/O Cards for Mac Pro 2019

What cards are available for use on the Mac Pro 2019 Computer, to add additional interface ports? I would like to know what cards are available to add additional Thunderbolt3 and Additional USB-A ports. Would these cards Add and Additional Channel for the Thunderbolt (I believe that there are 4 Channels on the Mac Pro 2019, can additional channels of Thunderbolt be added view a particular PCI cards?

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 1:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 5:16 PM

You do have one Thunderbolt add-on option... Apple MXM GPUs. Adding either an extra W5700X or Pro Vega II will add an extra +4 Thunderbolt-3 ports. https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MW662AM/A/radeon-pro-w5700x-mpx-module

12 replies

Jun 4, 2020 5:25 AM in response to Ziatron

The MPX Thunderbolt ports should transfer both video and data in accordance to the Thunderbolt3 branded specifications. Also Apple makes no distinction between those and other Thunderbolt ports when promising data transfer, device charging, USB backward compatibility, etc. https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-pro-rack/take-a-tour-apd6305dc263/mac

Ziatron, if you happen to have a usb-c drive could you plug that in to one of the Thunderbolt ports on your W5700X real quick to settle this debate?

Jun 2, 2020 2:26 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

I saw this generic information, but was wondering if there were card for more day-to-day I/O with so many devices running on USB & Thunderbolt today, it seems silly to have such a large "expandable" machine with four thunderbolt ports, two usb-a ports and a speaker port.... not much more than a MacBook offered and fewer than the 10-year old Mac Pro.... It would see logical that additional cards, such as the Apple I/O card could be added. Thank you.

I/O Cards for Mac Pro 2019

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.