Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone data transfer

can messages be retrieved? Apple replaced my iPhone 8 with another 8. I backed the old one up to iCloud. Everything seemed to transfer ( email, photos etc.) except messages. Can they be retrieved?

I can send and receive messages but all of the old ones are gone.

iPhone 8, iOS 13

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 2:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 6:11 AM

Hi Gmwevans,

Thanks for the post. I know how important messages are, and I'll be glad to see how I can assist. It sounds like you restored a backup but your messages may not have been part of the backup.

As a start, if you were using Messages in iCloud previously, tap Settings > [name] > iCloud, and make sure that Messages is turned on here. If Messages in iCloud is on, your content will sync and is not part of a backup: Keep all your messages in iCloud

Depending on how the above goes, this could help also: About missing information after you restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iCloud Backup

I hope this is helpful. Have a good day.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2020 6:11 AM in response to Gmwevans

Hi Gmwevans,

Thanks for the post. I know how important messages are, and I'll be glad to see how I can assist. It sounds like you restored a backup but your messages may not have been part of the backup.

As a start, if you were using Messages in iCloud previously, tap Settings > [name] > iCloud, and make sure that Messages is turned on here. If Messages in iCloud is on, your content will sync and is not part of a backup: Keep all your messages in iCloud

Depending on how the above goes, this could help also: About missing information after you restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iCloud Backup

I hope this is helpful. Have a good day.

iPhone data transfer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.