Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter

The internal hard drive on my mid-2010 Mini is failing and I'm thinking about replacing it with a bootable external drive that has a Firewire 800 port. (I'm using High Sierra.) Since I'm already using that port on my Mini for another external drive, I'm considering using the Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter to connect the Thunderbolt port on the Mini with the Firewire port on the external hard drive. Will this work? And will it perform like an additional Firewire 800 port?

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 6:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 6:34 PM

Yes, Thunderbolt is backward compatible to Firewire. Here is the link to the official Apple Store page: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD464LL/A/apple-thunderbolt-to-firewire-adapter

4 replies

Jun 3, 2020 4:29 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

I had no idea after all these years that you can daisy-chain Firewire devices. I looked at the back of my iOmega, and sure enough, there are 2 Firewire ports, and why else would they be there? All I have is a skimpy quick start guide which provides no specs, but a web search confirms they're both 800.

I also found out that (contrary to the drawing in the Mini technical specs that I downloaded several years ago which identifies a port as Thunderbolt), the port in question is really a Mini Display Port. And System Report confirms, no Thunderbolt hardware found.

Thanks, this really helps.

Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.