Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro freezes and shows lines when exporting in iMovie or opening Preview

My macbook pro is freezing whenever I use iMovie or preview. I am using the mid-2012 13 inch non-retina, upgraded the ram to 16gb and samsung ssd 500gb last year.

The problem began when last ween (may 25 2020) when I was editing using imovie, and imported a video file I downloaded using SSYOUTUBE. That file was downloaded as .txt but I changed the extension to .mp4 and it imported in imovie. But when I imported it to the timeline, the application froze. I deleted the file and just used a stock video I have. The project exported as usual.

But, when I exported another one, my macbook froze for the first time in 6 years.

I did everything to fix it. I thought it was the ram so I switched back to the old one but it kept happening. I also did the SMC reset. Even the .plist method.

I can watch Netflix and youtube videos fine, but when I open a file using preview even if it's a png file, my laptop freezes, and small lines appear randomly, even the purple box.

Imovie crashes when it's time to export the file and hangs whenever I scrub through the video.

Help please, I don't know what to do.

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 12:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 2:10 AM

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook Air here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook Air here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. Enter ➔ Safe Mode and see if the screen issue still exists in Safe mode. Log out of Safe Mode and then reboot computer. If that does not solve things then-
  4. Finally if none of the above works then you can enter ➔ macOS Recovery Mode and reinstall the macOS and see if that solves it.

Axel F.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2020 2:10 AM in response to rainevp

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook Air here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook Air here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. Enter ➔ Safe Mode and see if the screen issue still exists in Safe mode. Log out of Safe Mode and then reboot computer. If that does not solve things then-
  4. Finally if none of the above works then you can enter ➔ macOS Recovery Mode and reinstall the macOS and see if that solves it.

Axel F.

Jun 6, 2020 10:35 AM in response to Axel Foley

I already uninstalled it the first time, then did a full hard reformat of the SSD and wiped the whole laptop, then upgraded it to catalina.. here's the report from the error that occurred recently:

I don't really want to buy a new laptop right now, if I do, i'll probably wait until the macbook line gets a better upgrade. Thanks for the assistance :)

Jun 14, 2020 6:24 AM in response to Axel Foley

The issue escalated. I upgraded to Catalina, then downgraded to Mojave (first I wiped everything before the downgrade) the problem still persisted. Macbook kept shutting down whenever I used imovie and Google Chrome now. It came to a point where I decided to do another hard reset (mojave from a bootable drive, as I always did.) but this time:

1. Install will stop right after I choose the drive and it starts to install.
  2. I tried the recovery mode, and after I connect to the wifi, it shuts down after.

My solution: Replace the SSD with the original HDD

So... with the HDD, my Macbook still has the old problem with the iMovie hanging, and shuts down when I use Chrome and check emails/write documents/watch youtube/netflix. Does the same on Safari and firefox. it shuts down after 5 minutes.

BUT.. today. I tried to use SAFEMODE...

and I was able to watch Netflix. Type this reply and write emails without any problems. There's no audio so I need to connect a bluetooth device, but stiill--- laptop has been alive the past 9 hours and still functioning in SAFE MODE using the original hard drive.

P.S I spent the morning trying to install the SSD back. refomatted it it (like the hard format where it's goes through 7 wipes/resets) then did First Aid... and all good... then tried re-installing mojave in it and it keeps crashing.

Help please. I only managed to take a screenshot of the report.. it appeared while the disk was restarting.

I removed the SSD from my mac (using the Samsung 500gb)

Jun 6, 2020 5:28 AM in response to Axel Foley

Thank you for this. I did everything before except for that battery method. I did it today and it kind of worked. it eliminated the lines and then the previews with videos using the spacebar now works. iMOVIE still crashes when exporting, but it can play videos and scrub through them without freezing and showing purple lines. thanks again. still, i need my macbook to edit videos though.

Jun 6, 2020 12:09 PM in response to rainevp

When you are working with iMovie what is connected to the Thunderbolt / USB ports? Are you exporting files from iMovie to a device connected to one of those ports? If YES then can you experiment by exporting from iMovie to a file on your internal drive? See if it crashes doing that.

I believe this is an issue related to device(s) connected to the port(s).

Axel F.

Macbook Pro freezes and shows lines when exporting in iMovie or opening Preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.