Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change from POP to IMAP on an iPad that syncs through iCloud with my phone and iMac

I have an iMac, iPhone, and iPad Air 2 and the three devices sync through iCloud. Email management works well between my Mac and phone but not the iPad then I realized that it is still a POP account. I understand how to create a new IMAP account on the iPad but wondering if I will lose all the current POP emails and because the iPad syncs with my Mac and phone will I lose them on those devices as well?

Thanks!

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 13

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 4:50 AM

6 replies

Jun 3, 2020 7:34 AM in response to kacke2

First, in general, a POP3 email client can usually be configured to operate in one of two ways:

1) Download and delete the server copy.

In this mode of operation, email messages are downloaded from the email server - and then the server-copy is deleted. Other email clients will not see messages after deletion. As such, a different email client, such as IMAP will subsequently see an empty mailbox after the POP3 client has deleted all downloaded content.

2) Download and leave a copy on the server

This mode of operation differs in that the POP3 client will download new messages from the email server - and leave the original email messages on the server. Other email clients will still be able to see messages in the mailbox. IMAP clients will be synchronised with the available email messages.

As to your explicit question...

If the configured email account on your iPad is configured per (1) above, then deleting the POP3 account from your iPad will delete the only existing copies of email messages downloaded from the email server. Subsequent addition of an IMAP account will not recover the messages - as they were not present on the email server.

By contrast, if the configured email account on your iPad is configured per (2) above, then deleting the POP3 account from your iPad will only delete the local copies of email messages already downloaded from the email server; all email messages still present on the email server will be untouched. Subsequent addition of an IMAP account will provide access to all messages present on the server.

I make assumption that your device configured for POP3 is configured per (2) above - but you observation other email clients that access the same mailbox - and verification of your account settings, will confirm (a) which configuration is in use and (b) the implications for future accessibility of messages on your devices.

I hope this explanation is helpful in resolving/avoiding issues.

Jun 3, 2020 12:23 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for your prompt response! My iPad POP3 account is configured per (2) above. Do I understand correctly that deleting the POP3 from my iPad will delete all messages already downloaded BUT will have NO affect on the same messages on my iMAC or iPhone, both of which are IMAP accounts? I can tolerate losing them on the iPad and starting anew with an IMAP account but I certainly can't lose them on my Mac and Phone.

Jun 3, 2020 2:20 PM in response to LotusPilot

As a quick follow up, it took a while but exactly what you said would happen did. The old POP emails did disappear but there were so many it apparently took a while and started with the oldest so it took a while for me to notice. It's not a problem at all for me (on this device) but wanted to make the correction. I'm glad you warned me! Thanks again.

Change from POP to IMAP on an iPad that syncs through iCloud with my phone and iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.