Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing Email from POP3 to IMAP

If I change my Apple Mail account on my iPad from POP3 to IMAP on the AOL email system (Verizon.net user) will it only download unread emails from the inbox to my iPad when I create the account?

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 4:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 4:34 PM

That depends. It is not always easy to change mail from POP to IMAP unless the email providers system is set up to do that. When you install the account again, it will download any mail that exists on the server. With POP, it should be getting deleted from the server once it downloads to the individual device, but that does not always happen if not configured correctly. Unfortunately, that would be a wait and see issue.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2021 4:34 PM in response to zimmycobra

That depends. It is not always easy to change mail from POP to IMAP unless the email providers system is set up to do that. When you install the account again, it will download any mail that exists on the server. With POP, it should be getting deleted from the server once it downloads to the individual device, but that does not always happen if not configured correctly. Unfortunately, that would be a wait and see issue.

Nov 28, 2021 5:17 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks, Chris. I am working with AOL as an ex-Verizon.net account. We have used the AOL system for a couple of years as the POP account. They now require us to remove the account and then re-establish the account to use their more secure login port. I am told that they can make the account IMAP when I re-establish the account by using the IMAP settings and ports. It is my wife's account. Mine is already set up as IMAP. I was just trying to verify the AOL tech document that states when you create the IMAP account it will only download NEW emails to the device. Therefore I understand that to say that if I go to the online AOL mail system and make all of the emails in the Inbox to be "UNREAD" then they should all be initially downloaded to the device (there are 5404 emails from several years). I would then go into the iPad mail to mark all of the emails as "read". Going forward from there, it will only download the newly received emails as normal. Does this sound correct to you as well?

Nov 28, 2021 5:45 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks. I agree and will try to get my wife to begin doing that as it will make things a lot easier to manage going forward. That is why this has become such an issue now. I am currently backing up her iPad before I do anything else and then I will just dive in and hope that my understanding of the operation is correct. I really appreciate your responses and timeliness. Take care.

Changing Email from POP3 to IMAP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.