Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change my Mail program to IMAP so it deletes mail on all devices?

I am on iOS 15.4.1.

I don't see any information on how to do this, anywhere! Can someone help me?

iPhone X

Posted on May 15, 2022 1:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2022 1:54 PM

By default, the iOS mail app adds IMAP only. However, here is the process...

This process is valid for all mails, AOL, Google, Yahoo, Outlook, Hotmail, Exchange etc etc

1. Keep your email id and password handy
  2. Use this link to find out your Incoming and Outgoing server settings by entering your email address

Mail - Official Apple Support

If it is not available in the link above contact your email client

The GIF is self explanatory.

iCloud Account IMAP and SMTP

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2022 1:54 PM in response to SierraLady

By default, the iOS mail app adds IMAP only. However, here is the process...

This process is valid for all mails, AOL, Google, Yahoo, Outlook, Hotmail, Exchange etc etc

1. Keep your email id and password handy
  2. Use this link to find out your Incoming and Outgoing server settings by entering your email address

Mail - Official Apple Support

If it is not available in the link above contact your email client

The GIF is self explanatory.

iCloud Account IMAP and SMTP

May 15, 2022 3:07 PM in response to SravanKrA

For instance, I do not see "Passwords and Accounts" under settings. I only see Passwords.

It turns out the solution was much simpler. In the past it had to do with POP vs. IMAP, according to some threads I read. Now the problem is that Mail seems to default to putting "discarded" messages in archived messages.

For any future person having this problem, go to mail, then accounts, then select the account (this part is not obvious, but you tap on the actual account), that brings up the account information, then go to advanced (also, not obvious) - then under "move discarded messages into," select deleted mailbox.

Why apple programmers thought it would be helpful to have discarded messages be something different than deleted messages is beyond my understanding. It's been very annoying, and the fix is far from easy.

How do I change my Mail program to IMAP so it deletes mail on all devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.