Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memory Vs. Storage

I’m getting ready to buy a new laptop but I’m wondering how much memory and storage I should get. I’m not really sure about the difference either. I’m an occasional video editor. I make about 5 5-10 minute videos a year. I just want to know how much storage and memory is good to start with.

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 7:55 PM

Hey honey179,

I understand that you're looking to purchase a new MacBook Pro and you want to know the difference between a memory and storage. I'd be more than happy to explain the difference!

The storage would be the amount of space you have on your Mac. The more storage you have, the more files, videos, etc. you can save on your Mac.

The memory or the 'RAM' plays part of running your applications and the operating system. The more memory you have, the more applications you can run at the same time. Basically, if you're looking to multitask with a lot of apps, you'll need a sufficient amount of memory on your Mac.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any additional questions!

Warm regards.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2020 7:55 PM in response to honey179

Hey honey179,

I understand that you're looking to purchase a new MacBook Pro and you want to know the difference between a memory and storage. I'd be more than happy to explain the difference!

The storage would be the amount of space you have on your Mac. The more storage you have, the more files, videos, etc. you can save on your Mac.

The memory or the 'RAM' plays part of running your applications and the operating system. The more memory you have, the more applications you can run at the same time. Basically, if you're looking to multitask with a lot of apps, you'll need a sufficient amount of memory on your Mac.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any additional questions!

Warm regards.

Memory Vs. Storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.