Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I upgrade the RAM in the newest model of mac mini?

I know that ram and storage now come soldered into the macbooks, but I saw several places saying that you can upgrade the ram in the 2020 mac mini. I'm just wondering if this is true, if it will void the warranty, and how easy it is to do. Thanks.

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 12:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 1:19 PM

It is actually a 2018 model Mac Mini.

Yes you can, but it needs to be completely dissembled which could void your warrant if something goes wrong.

see > https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/mac-mini?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIju_Y3Lnm6QIV0RZ9Ch0IuAPlEAAYASAAEgLWvvD_BwE

With that in mind and if you are not comfortable upgrading the Mac Mini yourself. Then I would recommend either looking for an AASP that can upgrade it for you or returning it and special ordering one with more RAM.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2020 1:19 PM in response to CircuitSacul

It is actually a 2018 model Mac Mini.

Yes you can, but it needs to be completely dissembled which could void your warrant if something goes wrong.

see > https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/mac-mini?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIju_Y3Lnm6QIV0RZ9Ch0IuAPlEAAYASAAEgLWvvD_BwE

With that in mind and if you are not comfortable upgrading the Mac Mini yourself. Then I would recommend either looking for an AASP that can upgrade it for you or returning it and special ordering one with more RAM.

Jun 3, 2020 1:46 PM in response to den.thed

Thanks. I have not yet bough a computer, but was considering it. I saw parts claiming to be compatible, and several reputable sites recommended these parts (as well as good review on amazon). Upgrading on Apple from 8gb to 32gb would cost around $600, while buying the upgrade would cost $124. I just wanted to make sure that I don't buy the mac mini and find the ram soldered on.

You mentioned that it is actually a 2018 model. The mac mini is marked as "new", is this because that tag stays there a while after being upgraded?

Also, I found this part for $20 less, as well as good reviews on amazon. Is this better than, equivalent to, or worse than the OWC link you sent?

Jun 4, 2020 4:20 AM in response to CircuitSacul

Generally, if any RAM does not "specifically" say "Mac RAM",

not just "Mac Compatible", you are rolling the dice in terms

of reliable performance. Most "bargain basement" PC

RAM that have "Mac Compatible" printed on their package,

usually aren't, Made that mistake once and will never do it

again as it resulted in unexplained, random malfunctions

and once replaced with OWC RAM, it all went away.

FWIW, you are paying a premium price for a premium computer,

so why put cheap components in it. It is like getting a high performance

sports car and putting K-mart El Cheap brand tires on it.

Can I upgrade the RAM in the newest model of mac mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.