Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing Camera files in iMovie unless SD card is in slot

Hello. I imported movie files from my SD card into a new event in iMovie (and also copied the files over to an external hard drive.)

When I remove the SD card from the reader slot, the files show up as "missing camera" in the iMovie event.

They have a small video camera icon on the thumbnails in the Event as well, so that's different from usual.

Is there anyway I can fix this? I tried to re-import them, but nothing happens. I thought about deleting the event and re-importing, but I don't want to delete the event in case I lose the footage altogether. (even although it is allegedly on my SD card and in my hard drive back up.)

Thanks for any help!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 10:12 PM

Usually that happens when the SD card is removed before the import has completed. Try reimporting but this time wait for awhile for the import to complete. Then remove the SD card before doing any other operations. See if that gives you a completed import.

-- Rich

Similar questions

6 replies

Jul 2, 2020 10:50 AM in response to organikal

i imported video from a memory card into a new movie that i started. After the import i was able to view all the video in thumbnails but did not attempt to transfer any video into my new movie. I subsequently erased my memory card. Today i went to my movie only to fine a series of black boxes that say "missing camera". Have i lost all my video?

Jul 2, 2020 11:12 AM in response to manowar1-_

Select one of the black boxes and do a File/Reveal in Finder. If the file is not revealed in the Finder folder that pops up, then probably you have lost your video unless you still have it on the camera.

You might try checking the iMovie Backups folder, although it may not help if the import never was completed.

To get to the iMovie Backups folder, follow this file path from the Finder menu:

Go/Home/Library/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp/Data/Library/Caches/iMovieBackups

When you get there you will see a list of previous backups of your iMovie library.  Click on one dated just after you imported your videos and predating the disappearance.   iMovie will open in that library.   Navigate to your projects browser (where your projects are displayed as icons) and see if your videos are intact.

Perhhaps also you have a Time Machine backup of your library that predates the disappearance of the videos.

You might also try doing a spotlight search of your Mac to see if by any chance the videos ended up somewhere on your Finder, other than in the iMovie library.

Your only other option would be to use recovery software to see if you can recover the files that you deleted from your SD card.

Sorry that you are having this trouble. In the future you might try importing to your desktop rather than directly into iMovie.

-- Rich

Missing Camera files in iMovie unless SD card is in slot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.