Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot add files to external hard drive

Hello,

So I have a Lenovo 1TB harddrive. It's format is Windows NT File System (NTFS). I have no idea what all these mean, but I've been researching all over the place and can't seem to find an answer. So I used to have an old 2016 MacBook Pro in which it worked fine. I could backup my files all on here. But recently got a 2019 macbook pro and this hard drive won't let me add files into it. I can read and take files out to my desktop but cannot add anything in.

I got another 8 GB USB and that works fine.

If anyone knows how to fix this, any help is greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 6:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 6:13 PM

How about formatting it Mac OS Extended and GUID partition scheme using Disk utility (Applications > Utilitiies).

A Mac can read NTFS, but cannot write to it (that is why you cannot add files to the external). You simply need to format it correctly - NOTE: you need to erase it first.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2020 6:13 PM in response to Anonymous-4

How about formatting it Mac OS Extended and GUID partition scheme using Disk utility (Applications > Utilitiies).

A Mac can read NTFS, but cannot write to it (that is why you cannot add files to the external). You simply need to format it correctly - NOTE: you need to erase it first.

Jun 3, 2020 6:14 PM in response to Anonymous-4

Macs can not write to Windows NTFS formatted drives. if it worked in the past for you, you were running a third party app like Paragon or Tuxera that provided that functionality. My advice is to format the external drive for Mac.

Caution: Formatting the drive will erase all data on the drive. Ensure you copy off all data on the drive before formatting if you want to retain the data.

Cannot add files to external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.