Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages for Mac no longer sends me one time password codes

I recently bought a Mac and was loving it until messages app stopped forwarding me my one time passwords used on sites like amazon or your online banking with 2 factor auth enabled.

When the issue first started I got this message, see screenshot.

That this is sometimes a generic error that can mean a multitude of things.

(Catalina OS - MacBook Pro 16" 2019)

This was before the 10.15.5 update that I do have now but noticed the issues start on 10.15.4

I confirmed the Apple ID is spelled correctly, case-sensitive, and is uniform across all device and services but still nothing. I only have the one Apple ID.

I signed out and into all my devices to re-sync accounts but to no avail.

I can send and receive normal texts on messages app for Mac but just not the one time passwords that should forward from my mobile number.

At the time I did notice some down services around when I was experiencing the issue and hoped 24 hr later it would rectify itself when all services restored but nay.

I even restored to a back up I had from a time it worked hoping it would correct the issue but it has not which leads me to believe it is an issue with some apple service and probably something messed up with my apple account itself.

Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you for your time.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 7:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 7:50 AM

Sometimes it just takes writing a post to figure out your own problem lol. I found the culprit and it was an oversight on my part I guess... When I originally got the Mac and signed in everything worked with no additional setup. However after experiencing this issue that seemingly came out of no where here is the solution:

(from iPhone) Go to settings > Messages > and scroll down to "text message forwarding" click that and it will show your MacBook Pro device and switch it on viola resolved.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2020 7:50 AM in response to jatetaj

Sometimes it just takes writing a post to figure out your own problem lol. I found the culprit and it was an oversight on my part I guess... When I originally got the Mac and signed in everything worked with no additional setup. However after experiencing this issue that seemingly came out of no where here is the solution:

(from iPhone) Go to settings > Messages > and scroll down to "text message forwarding" click that and it will show your MacBook Pro device and switch it on viola resolved.

Messages for Mac no longer sends me one time password codes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.