Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop files and folders dissappeared overnight even from time machine - Catalina 10.15.5

Today, after last Mac OS update my desktop turned up completely empty and I can no longer see the original files. Tried to restore via Time Machine, however the desktop folders and files have dissappeared from the backup as well!

Some folder I could find via finder, however its location is on the desktop, it is not visible there.

I did not use iCloud to store my desktop and documents folder.

I am out of options I can think of recovering my files.

Does anyone know how to solve or has encountered the same?

Thank you.

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 9:45 AM

There is no need to reboot; if the files are hidden, rebooting will not fix it anyway.

You may use a similar command in Terminal to recursively unhide the files inside Desktop and Documents.

chflags -R nohidden ~/Desktop

chflags -R nohidden ~/Documents

Similar questions

15 replies

Jun 4, 2020 9:23 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

The backup goes way back for sure 2019.

The folders are not there. Completely missing.

Just now, after a reboot I saw a grouped "PDF files" folder on the desktop, but immediately disappearing. Just as the pdf file I saved a few minutes before.

Strange thing is that I created some screenshot earlier that normally save to a desktop folder. The folder and files are not visible, but I can see them using finder when I use the search bar and type the folder name.

Jun 6, 2020 8:39 AM in response to Aganice

Your situation may be different from the OP.

In his case, the files were all there in the original place, but hidden.

Did you try pressing command-shift-period in the Finder? This toggles an option for the Finder to show hidden files.

Also, did you check if Documents and Desktop are in your iCloud Drive?

Open a Finder window, click iCloud Drive on the sidebar, and see if there are Documents folder and Desktop folder in there. If there are and your files are there, let us know. Do not turn this setting off before copying these files somewhere else first for backup.

Desktop files and folders dissappeared overnight even from time machine - Catalina 10.15.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.