Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhoneXR will not charge after the 13.5.1 update. Shows device not supported when my charger is plugged in. Any suggestions on how to fix?

My iPhoneXR will not charge after the 13.5.1 update. Shows device not supported when my charger is plugged in. Any suggestions on how to fix?

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 11:39 AM

3 replies

Jun 4, 2020 11:52 AM in response to jmauld83

jmauld83 Said:

———-

A Few Thoughts:

• Get a New Charger:

Your charger may have gone dead where charging or not.

• Flip the Power Switch it is Plugged Into:

Perhaps no power is coming out of the power socket.

• Clean Out the Charging Port:

Use an air can spray to get the charger to work cleaned out.

—-

Apple Support Links:

Jun 4, 2020 1:49 PM in response to jmauld83

Could it possibly be an issue with the lightning cable and not the charger itself?

Here is also another suggestion to figure out what may be causing the problem: Are you are using any third-party products to charge your phone? Or only an Apple Lightning cable and charger?

If you are using a third-party lightning cable, even if it is Mi-Fi Apple certified, sometimes your device will suddenly stop recognizing it. You will get that same “Device [the cable] not supported/recognized” message. This has happened to me on different devices, over several iOS versions. (Using third-party cables from several well-respected brands, too) It may be similar problem.

Disconnecting and reconnecting the cable (often multiple times) from my iOS device occasionally succeeded in the connection working again, at least for a short time. More often it never worked again. Unfortunately, I never found long-term fix, except to buying a new cable.

If you are only using Apple accessories, I’m sure you know lightening cables are fragile and can be easily damaged or stop working. So, it could still be a cable issue.

If you have an AppleCare(+) warranty, you should contact them directly to check about trading in a bad Apple cable (or charger) for a replacement.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.