Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Uploading Files to iCloud

I upgraded my iCloud account to 200GB/mo. A bunch of files from my laptop have uploaded automatically, but they're random files I don't care about. I have a lot of files that are very important and I'd like them to be uploaded automatically on a regular basis. How do I direct iCloud to upload these files. They reside at Go --> Home-->Docs.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 12:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 10:30 PM

Can I ask; did you create a folder of your own within the Home folder called Docs? The reason I ask is that "Docs" isn't an official folder in your home user profile folder.

Regardless, I propose that you move whatever important stuff you want upload to the official Documents folder which is permanently linked to iCloud. To find it go into your Finder Preferences > Sidebar tab, --about halfway down you'll see the section titled iCloud. Make sure the Documents folder is checkmarked and then it will show up in the sidebar on the left side of any finder window. Whatever files/folders/contents you put in that folder are going to be uploaded to iCloud and available for download on other devices using iCloud Drive.

I'll attach a couple screenshots

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2020 10:30 PM in response to mahastew

Can I ask; did you create a folder of your own within the Home folder called Docs? The reason I ask is that "Docs" isn't an official folder in your home user profile folder.

Regardless, I propose that you move whatever important stuff you want upload to the official Documents folder which is permanently linked to iCloud. To find it go into your Finder Preferences > Sidebar tab, --about halfway down you'll see the section titled iCloud. Make sure the Documents folder is checkmarked and then it will show up in the sidebar on the left side of any finder window. Whatever files/folders/contents you put in that folder are going to be uploaded to iCloud and available for download on other devices using iCloud Drive.

I'll attach a couple screenshots

Jun 5, 2020 12:51 AM in response to mahastew

If you open system preferences > iCloud and uncheck the box of iCloud Drive a pop up window appears , showing to keep a copy of documents , and remove from the Mac .

( a ) if you had clicked on keep a copy , they will be archived in home folder that can be viewed by clicking on finder in the dock , take cursor on top menu bar > Go > Home > your user name > iCloud Drive ( Archive ) .

These files in iCloud Drive ( Archive ) can be selected use command and A keys , copy them ( command and C keys ) , open finder , under iCloud section > in Documents can be pasted ( use command and V keys ) , but before that in the above screen shot iCloud Drive box has to be check marked , just double click on it will show setting up and it will get check marked then paste the items .

See that desktops and documents box is always checked see the article https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mchle5a61431/10.14/mac/10.14

So these files in iCloud Drive ( archive ) will move in documents folder and if you create new files on regular basis and upload them they will automatically moved to iCloud.com as well as in iCloud Drive > documents folder .

See the article https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mchle5a61431/10.14/mac/10.14

Uploading Files to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.