Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Storge

Anyone knows how can I upload files to iCloud, then delete it from my Mac while files are kept on iCloud?

I have 1TB laptop with 2TB iCloud storage I want to use solely on iCloud without keeping them on my laptop.

Thanks

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 8:43 PM

iCloud is primarily a synchronization service keeping all files across your devices in sync. So, files in iCloud are downloaded to your devices. You can elect to optimize files, which will remove the oldest/largest into the cloud only. You can also elect to remove downloads. But, the files may sync again at some point as the primary purpose of iCloud is to sync, not to be offline storage.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2021 8:43 PM in response to nadi86

iCloud is primarily a synchronization service keeping all files across your devices in sync. So, files in iCloud are downloaded to your devices. You can elect to optimize files, which will remove the oldest/largest into the cloud only. You can also elect to remove downloads. But, the files may sync again at some point as the primary purpose of iCloud is to sync, not to be offline storage.

iCloud Storge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.