Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving files within iCloud

I want to delete files from my desktop, but I want them to remain in my iCloud. How do I do this?

Posted on Jan 1, 2022 11:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2022 9:34 PM

iCloud works by syncing the files in your iCloud Drive across all of your devices. It also maintains a copy on iCloud’s servers. However, if you delete it from one of those places the file will be deleted everywhere since it syncs the changes.

For example, if you delete a file using iCloud Drive on iCloud.com, that file will also be deleted from your iPhone, iPad and Mac. As well, if you delete a file on your Mac, it will also be deleted on your iPhone, iPad, iCloud.com as well. The files can’t be on one of them and not on all of them.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2022 9:34 PM in response to Charlesmcbry

iCloud works by syncing the files in your iCloud Drive across all of your devices. It also maintains a copy on iCloud’s servers. However, if you delete it from one of those places the file will be deleted everywhere since it syncs the changes.

For example, if you delete a file using iCloud Drive on iCloud.com, that file will also be deleted from your iPhone, iPad and Mac. As well, if you delete a file on your Mac, it will also be deleted on your iPhone, iPad, iCloud.com as well. The files can’t be on one of them and not on all of them.

Moving files within iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.