Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

if I delete an item off of my desktop does it delete in iCloud?

Can I free up space on my MacBook Pro by moving most files to the iCloud and then deleting them off my MacBook? Won't the files go off iCloud when I delete the files off my MacBook?

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 7:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 8:21 PM

Can your Mac be upgraded to a more recent system version, macOS 10.14 or later? Then you can use the "Optimize Mac Storage" feature for iCloud to save local storage on your Mac. iCloud can remove files from your Mac and keep them only in iCloud, if more storage is needed on your Mac. This is available in the more recent system versions. But do not delete files yourself after storing them in iCloud. See: Save space on your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2022 8:21 PM in response to photobreau

Can your Mac be upgraded to a more recent system version, macOS 10.14 or later? Then you can use the "Optimize Mac Storage" feature for iCloud to save local storage on your Mac. iCloud can remove files from your Mac and keep them only in iCloud, if more storage is needed on your Mac. This is available in the more recent system versions. But do not delete files yourself after storing them in iCloud. See: Save space on your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

Sep 29, 2022 8:03 PM in response to photobreau

photobreau Said:

"if I delete an item off of my desktop does it delete in iCloud?: Can I free up space on my MacBook Pro by moving most files to the iCloud and then deleting them off my MacBook? Won't the files go off iCloud when I delete the files off my MacBook?"

-------

Deleting Items and iCloud:

Yes, the items will be inaccessible in iCloud(if signed into the same Apple ID). If you delete it through iCloud, or on the device itself, it is gone.

if I delete an item off of my desktop does it delete in iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.