Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error with new ssd in white macbook 2010

Hello

I installed a new 240gb sandisk ssd in my 2010 white macbook.

I get an error when i want to put back the time machine backup.

First thing i did when starting up the pc when replacing the hdd with the ssd was formatting the ssd. So it knows its there. I formatted it and then restarted the pc. But i still get the error with the time machine back-up. I tells me to restart the macbook and try again every time.

What could this be?

MacBook, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 12:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2020 5:31 PM

Ruud,

Before you can restore from. a TM backup you have to have an OS on the machine.

Since this is a 2010 white MacBook, you have three options:

1. Use the original software disks to install the original software and OS.
  2. Get a Snow Leopard DVD and use that to install SL.
  3. Boot from a USB installer of El Capitan, Sierra, or High Sierra. You will need a blank 8 or 16 gig usb drive for this. You can find instructions to do this on this forum or on youtube, or elsewhere on the internet.

After installing an OS you can use your TM backup or add your data manually.

That machine will run High Sierra quite well with 4 or 8gb of ram and an SSD.

Good luck.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2020 5:31 PM in response to ruud82

Ruud,

Before you can restore from. a TM backup you have to have an OS on the machine.

Since this is a 2010 white MacBook, you have three options:

1. Use the original software disks to install the original software and OS.
  2. Get a Snow Leopard DVD and use that to install SL.
  3. Boot from a USB installer of El Capitan, Sierra, or High Sierra. You will need a blank 8 or 16 gig usb drive for this. You can find instructions to do this on this forum or on youtube, or elsewhere on the internet.

After installing an OS you can use your TM backup or add your data manually.

That machine will run High Sierra quite well with 4 or 8gb of ram and an SSD.

Good luck.

Jun 4, 2020 1:14 PM in response to ruud82

ruud82 Said:

"Error with new ssd in white MacBook 2010: Hello I installed a new 240gb sandisk ssd in my 2010 white macbook. I get an error when i want to put back the time machine backup. First thing i did when starting up the pc when replacing the hdd with the ssd was formatting the ssd. So it knows its there. I formatted it and then restarted the pc. But i still get the error with the time machine back-up. I tells me to restart the macbook and try again every time."

Three Thoughts:

Perform in the order provided

1. Try the Apple Diagnostics Tool:

How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac. Upon boot, hold down then D key on your keyboard, until you see a screen asking you to choose your language.

If all is set...

2. Try Internet Recovery Mode, if you can't start up from macOS Recovery. Connect with Ethernet.

Once Installed:

3. Restore your Mac from the Time Machine Backup.

Jun 4, 2020 4:37 PM in response to ruud82

How and when did you format the SSD?

You should do that before you install it.

Since there is NO recovery on a machine from 2010, you need to use your original installation DVDs if you want to erase, format, or install (if you are formatting it after installing it).

Check the link below - it shows instructions on how to install a hard drive in your model (check your model ID to make sure it is yours) and it also shows which SSDs it would be compatible with:

https://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbook_13_09_unibody_hd/

Error with new ssd in white macbook 2010

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.