Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery Health Management

My 2015 mac was updated to Catalina 10.15.5 but does not have battery health management. Is this for only new macbooks?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 7:55 PM

9 replies

Jun 5, 2020 9:19 PM in response to idxrkvxbes

I have the same question. As I'm in Australia, I looked at this page About battery health management in Mac notebooks – Apple Support and it doesn't mention any conditions other than having 10.15.5 on a MacBook to have battery management. I have a MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014) running 10.15.5 and I cannot see a "Battery Health" option in "Energy Saver".

Jun 6, 2020 7:56 AM in response to Polgs

Was this section not in the article you read?

How to control the battery health management feature
Battery health management is on by default when you buy a new Mac notebook with macOS 10.15.5, or after you upgrade to macOS 10.15.5 on a Mac notebook with Thunderbolt 3 ports.

An Early 2014 MBA isn't going to have a Thunderbolt 3 port. I think it doesn't even have Thunderbolt 2.

Jun 6, 2020 7:14 PM in response to Barney-15E

My MacBook Air has one Thunderbolt 1 port.

The text on the Australian site is almost identical to the US one but it is missing the bit about needing Thunderbolt 3 ports.

How to control the battery health management feature
Battery health management is on by default when you buy a new Mac notebook with macOS 10.15.5, or after you upgrade to macOS 10.15.5.

Jun 10, 2020 7:45 PM in response to Polgs

I hope they add battery health management but the problem is another update. I feel like these updates are actually hurting my laptop and I seriously don’t want to damage anything that I have kept for 5 years. It may be old but it is still running as if I first opened it. I really don’t want to update my laptop again but I don’t know how this will turn out

Battery Health Management

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.