Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is 'find my iPhone' tracking my location?

I have my location setting set to 'don't allow changes'. I have everything locked down. Why is find my iPhone pulling my location when I have not specifically requested my location to be found?

iPhone XS, iOS 13

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 8:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 10:23 PM

The job of Find my iPhone is to locate the phone when you cannot. There are many places your phone goes that have poor location capabilities. This is why your phone periodically tells your Apple ID (but not Apple) where it is.

When you open the client app to find your lost phone, Apple will attempt to ping the phone. If it cannot succeed in pinging the phone and determining its current location, you will instead see a "last known location" marker instead of the more useful "current location" marker.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2020 10:23 PM in response to pwj_

The job of Find my iPhone is to locate the phone when you cannot. There are many places your phone goes that have poor location capabilities. This is why your phone periodically tells your Apple ID (but not Apple) where it is.

When you open the client app to find your lost phone, Apple will attempt to ping the phone. If it cannot succeed in pinging the phone and determining its current location, you will instead see a "last known location" marker instead of the more useful "current location" marker.

Why is 'find my iPhone' tracking my location?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.