Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery not charging

Macbook pro 13 ‘ 2 Thunderbolt ports . The battery is not charging even when i plug in the charger, it shows that the battery charging in the status bar but when you check in the power management the battery is not charging, tired re starting , smc reset , its not helping, it charges sometimes i don’t know hoe and it does not charge when i need it . This started happening after the recent update . Some one at apple please help. There are other discussions related to this topic

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Jun 5, 2020 4:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 11:28 AM

This might be part of the new Battery Health Management in 10.15.5. See https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251415112 and About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support although the Apple Support article does not explain the details, from what I have read (and seen on my own Macbook Pro) the battery health management, new in 10.15.5, does not allow the battery to stay at 100% when plugged in for long periods of time. Every day or so it will allow the battery to discharge down to ~ 90% and then return to charging it back to 100%, even if plugged in to the charger. Supposedly, this behavior prolongs the life of the battery, while instead, leaving it at 100% for extended periods is not good for the battery.

If your computer has Battery Health Management, you will see it by looking into one of the advanced or extended windows under Energy Saver System Preferences. If it has it, you can turn it off there, then it will just stay at 100% when plugged in.

If you don't have Battery Health Management or you have it and it has already been turned off, then the behavior you are describing is not normal and your Mac might need service in that case. But what you are describing sounds a lot like the normal behavior detailed in the two links above.

(P.S. edit -- I now see Barney has already responded and my answer seems largely redundant with his. You can learn more from the links I provided. With the Battery Health Management, the battery charge will slowly vary between 90% and 100%. Those people reporting a completely drained battery are experiencing something else.)

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2020 11:28 AM in response to Pukar1257

This might be part of the new Battery Health Management in 10.15.5. See https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251415112 and About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support although the Apple Support article does not explain the details, from what I have read (and seen on my own Macbook Pro) the battery health management, new in 10.15.5, does not allow the battery to stay at 100% when plugged in for long periods of time. Every day or so it will allow the battery to discharge down to ~ 90% and then return to charging it back to 100%, even if plugged in to the charger. Supposedly, this behavior prolongs the life of the battery, while instead, leaving it at 100% for extended periods is not good for the battery.

If your computer has Battery Health Management, you will see it by looking into one of the advanced or extended windows under Energy Saver System Preferences. If it has it, you can turn it off there, then it will just stay at 100% when plugged in.

If you don't have Battery Health Management or you have it and it has already been turned off, then the behavior you are describing is not normal and your Mac might need service in that case. But what you are describing sounds a lot like the normal behavior detailed in the two links above.

(P.S. edit -- I now see Barney has already responded and my answer seems largely redundant with his. You can learn more from the links I provided. With the Battery Health Management, the battery charge will slowly vary between 90% and 100%. Those people reporting a completely drained battery are experiencing something else.)

Jun 5, 2020 5:46 AM in response to Pukar1257

Some one at apple please help.

If you want Apple's help, you need to contact them. We don't work for Apple.

Just guessing, but do you have Battery Health Management turned on? That alters the charging cycles in order to keep the battery healthy. It's in the Energy Saver System Preferences, but will only show up if you have Thunderbolt 3 ports.

Jun 7, 2020 12:44 PM in response to Pukar1257

I'm sort of sharing your nervousness about this, as I have a brand new Macbook Pro 16" and it came with the Battery Health Management activated. I just watched the battery go down to 92%, while plugged in, but now it just started to charge up again. I think the idea is that these types of lithium batteries have a longer lifetime when allowed to slowly discharge slightly and then trickle charge back up to full (which mine is doing now). From what I have read, this is the new normal behavior. You can certainly disable this feature in which case your battery and computer will behave as older models used to.

If it's really bothering you, you could disable the feature for now, and then reactivate once there are authorized service centers back open (which is happening now) just in case there is something not right in your computer. But the above behavior is what I have read is "normal" with the feature turned on. Also, in my area, all the Apple Stores are still closed but there are independent Apple authorized service centers open for diagnosing and fixing Macs, they make you interact at a distance outside when dropping off and picking up. Apple (online or one the phone) will tell you where these places are located in your area.

Jun 7, 2020 12:50 PM in response to pixel1021

In your other post, you indicated

"Today I plugged my adapter and charged to 100% and I don't unplugged this time and then several minutes, battery is starting drain 99% to 90%, and then my mac automatically charge on 100%. it starts loop 100% downto 90% and continous again.

My mac still plugged during that time. I use Safari to watch Youtube."

As others have mentioned, if the new Battery Health Management feature is activated (you would find it under Energy Saver System Preferences and selecting Advanced or Options, it is only installed under 10.15.5 Supplemental Update on Macbook Pros that have Thunderbolt 3 ports), this 100% => 90% => 100% pattern all while plugged in is the "new normal." If you don't have this Battery Health Management activated or installed, then I'm not sure what you are seeing is normal.

Battery not charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.