Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Total of items in one column in the next column

Hi,

I have a column which I am adding numeric amounts to and I want the next column to be the total of these amounts as I add them. Could anybody offer any advice as to how I can do this?

For example I may have in the first column 25, 10, 300, 2000 and in the next column I would like to add a formula that totals these items as I add them, so 25, 35, 335, 2335 etc

Many thanks,

Martin

Posted on Jun 5, 2020 6:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2020 8:47 AM

You can do something like this:

The formula in B2, filled down the column:

=SUM(A$2:A2)

Enter the formula in B2. Click B2, hover over the bottom edge of the cell, and drag the yellow dot down.

This creates an "expanding range" whose top cell is anchored by the $ to the second row and last cell changes to reflect the row the formula is on.

SG

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2020 8:47 AM in response to martsm

You can do something like this:

The formula in B2, filled down the column:

=SUM(A$2:A2)

Enter the formula in B2. Click B2, hover over the bottom edge of the cell, and drag the yellow dot down.

This creates an "expanding range" whose top cell is anchored by the $ to the second row and last cell changes to reflect the row the formula is on.

SG

Total of items in one column in the next column

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.